Looking for a pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Flatrate

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 8, 2015
Michigan
Hey everyone, hope you all are healthy and safe out there! Let me cut to the chase, I am looking to buy my first pellet smoker, this is something I've been going back and forth with for about 2 years. I've looked into 3 mainly over the time. I like Grilla Grills, Rec Tec, have looked into Trager. I might be comparing apples to oranges but the one I really want is a Yoder YS640s Comp Cart.

I wonder if the cost is worth it, but damn the Yoder is sexy.

What would you do? Or if there are other suggestions on a cooker I am all ears!

Thanks.
Dave

From what I've heard on the forum if I was ever going to get a pellet smoker I imagine I'd get a RecTec, tho there's nothing bad about the Yoders, well built. RAY

Reactions: Flatrate
There are a number here that are quite pleased with their Rec-Tec and the same with the Yoders. Personally, back in 2014 I looked hard at the Rec-Tec but ultimately decided the MAK had more going for it. I've been extremely pleased with my MAK.

Although I am not looking to purchase any pellet grills I have read a bunch about them. People seem to love Rec Tec. There have long been complaints about the paint on the Yoders. If I were going to spend what it costs to get the Yoder on the comp cart I would probably go with a MAK instead.

In no particular order, my list of research would end here. All would serve you quite well. ( RT owner here )
Mak
Yoder
Rec Tec
Smokin Brothers ( completely new to me )
Camp Chef
Grilla
Traeger ( Timberline models)

I wanted a Mak, but it was cost prohibitive...the near by butcher had one running daily out front of his shop.

I love my Rec Tec. can enough about that.

People are loyal to their brands for sure. I have heard great things about the Grilla and Rec Tec units. I have a pre S model YS640 on the comp cart. I have 2 mottoes "Bigger is Better" and "Buy once, Cry once" . I also like American made. I have had minor rust on the pellet door in the 2 years this cooker has sat outside but covered. It holds temp very good and puts out delicious food. If and when my controller goes out I will upgrade to the new S controller. I seriously looked at other units, because of the cost of the Yoder and have not regretted paying the extra $$.

I just purchased a Yoder YS-640 May 1st. It has been a fun journey the last month. I already have a fridge smoker, that does well at slow long cooks, but does not do a great job at finishing things wrapped in bacon, or chicken. I wanted a smoker to add to the equipment that could do some searing and both grill and smoke.

I picked up the grill from a local supplier, I have grilled on it and seared the meats. Standard stuff like chicken breast, hamburgers, steaks, and brats/sausages. I have cooked pulled pork. Made Thai peanut butter, Teriyaki sesame seed chicken legs. This weekend I did a Mexican meatloaf, and also stuffed pabalano peppers. I tried smoking potatoes chips like jeff had suggested on his videos.

I did buy the following with the Yoder.
1. 1/2 top shelf. Has worked out good. I never used the top shelf on regular grills. But I have used it on the yoder.
2. 2 piece diffuser plate (the one with the door on it. Great of cleaning in between cooks, and I remove the door plate when I want to sear.
3. Searing grates, 2 sets to cover the whole grill. Works good when I am Grilling without the diffuser plate. Nice hot grill surface all the way across the grilling surface.
4. Stainless steal drip tray for the front of the Yoder and Stainless Steel shelf covers. These are great for keeping the front of the grill clean and keeping a mess of off the Cement porch.

So far I love the smoker although I have had 2 problems with it. Yoder customer service was fantastic. Friendly and quick to respond.
1. Straping down the Yoder in my pickup, I broke the antenna. Yoder had one shipped out free of charge immediately.
2. After my first smoke, I notice oil(grease) dripping from under the main body. Called Yoder and they shipped me out a tube of their high temp chalk, and I had it repaired in less than a week.

The Yoder holds temps fairly well. This is my first pellet smoker I have every had. I saved up for it over 15 months. I have a friend that has a Traeger that caught fire, had a lot of problems in the winter holding temps. I wanted this to be a one time purchase. I did not want to make a mistake on my purchase. I like the bottom storage shelf on the YS640, I found a storage tote that is 7 inches high and slides to the shelf. I put all of the things I need for the Yoder in the storage container, I pull it off the shelf and pull the things I need out. After cooking and the grill is all cleaned up and cooled down, I slide the container back on the shelf, and cover the smoker.

I do wish the smoker had the larger tires, like on the competition grill. But it is still manageable in the concrete.

For a cover, I purchase one from walmart, I turn the exhaust tube down, and the cover slides right on. It is a classical Accsessory grill cover. I bought one for the old weber girl, and it has lasted 5 years and looks in great shape. Not bad for $35.

As ofelles mentioned, people are brand loyal for sure. To put my two cents in, I have and would recommend a Louisiana Grills Champion (https://louisiana-grills.com/shop/grills/lg-champion-wood-pellet). I've had mine for a couple years and can't imagine any grill being any better. It holds temp within a couple degrees, is very versatile, and "sexy" in its own way. Their parent company also owns Pitboss, but the Louisiana Grills are more than a step better.

I don’t have a horse in this race ... yet ... but a recovering engineer who analyzes everything to death and drives my wife nuts (fringe benefit) ... if/when I pull the trigger on one - FOR ME - I think the best value is a RecTec 700. YMMV. But the quality mfrs mentioned by others are great choices as well.

I would always caution and echo others that have advised ‘buy once, cry once’ ... whether tools, stereo gear, whatever ... I’ve never regretted buying quality. I will (usually) stretch budget for quality, and sacrifice bells/whistles if necessary. WRT my mini-arsenal, that was true of the BGE (at the time) and the Vidalia ... not so much the PitBoss and wish I’d gone with a Smokin-It.

A crusty old plant engineer I worked with had a sign in his office “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price”. I’ve had to learn that lesson a few times. Still learning ...

Reactions: 2008RN
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky