Looking for a new & unfamiliar recipe of sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RyanReyes

Original poster
Sep 24, 2021
Hi guys, you know what I want to look for from reading the title. So, does anyone have a new and unique recipe of sausage to share with me (and other members as well)?

2 pounds emulsified venison
1 cup Fruity Pebbles
1 tablespoon tabasco
Stuff into beef rounds
Simmer in Manischewitz

I jest.
Ballpark, what style are you looking for? Texas bbq? German? Fresh? Smoked? Spicy? Lots and lots of options out there.

Here is an extensive list of recipes:

Welcome. P PolishDeli nails it. TONS of cool stuff in there. Another idea is something I came up with using mixes for one type to make another. IE: I use bratwurst mix to make my summer sausage.

When cruising recipes you will find that many formulations have 3 or 4 base ingredients, and then a couple of signature ingredients (like fennel in Italian sausage, or paprika and various chilie's in chorizo for example). My newest and somewhat unique sausage is Lukainka. I had to reverse engineer this recipe going mostly off of word-of-mouth descriptions of a family recipe.

LUKAINKA

Lukainka is a French Basque farm style sausage. I was introduced to this sausage about 30 years ago, but never had a recipe. It's popular in cities having a Basque community and is served at Basque festivals and sold through small meat markets, but otherwise it's relatively unknown. The closest place I can buy it is 120 miles away. Starting only with a list of ingredients (and 3 different test versions) I developed the recipe below. The balance of flavors and simplicity of it makes it a good candidate for bulk or stuffed into links. It makes a very good sausage sandwich.

The quantities (in grams) shown are per 1 kilogram of pork. Weighing the ingredients is much more accurate than measuring with measuring spoons. Weigh your pork and convert to kilograms. Then just multiply each ingredient amount shown by the number of kilograms. For example, 5 pounds of pork is 2.27 kilograms. To determine the amount of salt: 15g X 2.27kg = 34.05g of salt. The amount of black pepper would be: 2g X 2.27kg = 4.54g of black pepper.

1000g - ground pork butt
15g - salt - (1.5%)
2g - black pepper - (0.2%)
1g - white pepper - (0.1%)
3.5g - Minced garlic - (0.35%) - Note: use 5g if you really like garlic (.5%) as much as I do.
0.7g - crushed red pepper (0.07%) -
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley (or just eyeball the amount)

Grind the meat, mix in the seasonings and water until well blended. Let rest overnight for seasonings to blend.

here is what i'm making next.. last time i posted a pdf members said no.. so i just copied and pasted .. so its just a long sentance

Homemade German Bratwurst Kimberly Killebrew Enjoy the authentic taste of Germany through these delicious Bratwursts! Make a double batch, freeze them, and you can conveniently grab and grill a bratwurst any time the craving hits you! 5 from 35 votes 2 hrs Main Course German 20 bratwursts 421 kcal INGREDIENTS PREP TIME COURSE CUISINE SERVINGS CALORIES 5 pounds boneless pork shoulder (can substitute part veal if desired) , cut into 1/2 inch pieces and put in freezer for 45 minutes prior to grinding 24 ounces pork back fat , cut into 1/2 inch chunks and put in freezer for 45 minutes prior to grinding 4 cups crushed ice For the Spice Mixture: 3 tablespoons salt 0.5 cup dried milk powder 3 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper 1.5 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 2 teaspoon ground mace (can substitute nutmeg but strongly recommend mace for traditional German flavor) 2 teaspoon ground ginger 2 teaspoon dried marjoram 1.5 teaspoon mustard powder INSTRUCTIONS 0.5 teaspoon ground cardamom 0.5 teaspoon ground coriander 0.5 teaspoon crushed caraway seeds 32mm natural hog casing , about 4 feet 1. Combine the pork, fat and crushed ice in a bowl and then, working quickly, use a meat grinder to grind the mixture through a 1/4 inch (6mm) die. Preferably grind the meat mixture into a bowl set atop an ice bath to keep the meat cold. Grind half of the ground mixture a second time. Note: It is imperative that the meat be at a constant cold temperature so that the fat doesn't get too soft. You should be able to see clear definition between the lean meat the specks of fat in the ground mixture. Chill the meat in the refrigerator while you assemble the spice mixture. 2. In a small bowl combine all the spices. Remove the ground meat from the fridge and place it on the stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the spice mix and dry milk powder. Mix the meat mixture with the paddle for 3-4 minutes until threads begin to appear in the meat: If you take a clump of meat and pull it apart with your fingers you will see tiny threads pulling apart. When you see this your meat is ready. *If the meat mixture is too dry and stiff, add a little ice water. You want a soft/smooth mixture that will easily go into the casings. *This is also the time to taste your sausage mixture so you can adjust the seasonings if needed. To do this, take a bit of the meat mixture, fry it up in a pan, taste it and adjust the seasonings if needed. Place the meat mixture back in the refrigerator while you prepare the casings. 3. Thread your sausage stuffer with the prepared hog casings, fill the sausage stuffer with the meat mixture, and stuff the casings being careful to avoid air gaps while also being careful to not overstuff the casings. Twist the sausages into links. Use a sausage pricker to prick any air bubbles out of the links. For best results chill the sausages overnight. 4. To prepare the bratwursts, gently poach them in lightly salted water and then fry or grill them. Once poached they will keep in the fridge, tightly wrapped, for up to a week. You can either freeze the Bratwursts raw prior to poaching (then thaw, poach, fry/grill) or freeze them once they're poached. 5. This yields roughly 10 bratwursts depending on the size and diameter

heres the pdf if ya want ..it's clean

Attachments

• Homemade German Bratwurst - The Daring Gourmet.pdf
    209 KB · Views: 34
Your summer sausage is the bomb
Thanks Jeff. That stuff is based on a friend's "venison sausage". He was tight lipped about it BUT caught him off guard calling it a "deer brat" one time and I RAN with it. Anyway, point being is that with homemade sausage one of the coolest things you can do is break the rules.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky