Looking for a new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

plcharbo

Original poster
Feb 18, 2020
Hi,
first of all, thanks to everyone who will reply to my post.

I currently own a Pitboss K24 (kamado style) grill. I'm now looking for a complementary smoker and got interested in pellet smokers. I was hesitating between a vertical pellet smoker and a pellet grill. I want to do low and slow and already have my K24 for grilling or pizza, etc. It's gonna be mainly use for brisket, short ribs. I want an easy operation smoker for couple of hours of cooking.

What would be interesting for me with a budget of 4-500$

Thank you

Have you had food off a pellet smoker? I've seen some people disappointed with the smoke profile in comparison to a charcoal/wood cooker. I have a Pit Boss Copperhead and it is mostly used for smoking jerky and other snacks. I recently was gifted a Thermoworks Signals with Billows. Using that set up on my kamado is truly set and forget.

Last edited:
a touch over budget but a smaller rec tec

I'm with Sandy on this one. I (like him) have a Rec Tec RT 700 Bull. It is an outstanding cooker. The only thing I might even come close to as calling a disappointment (and it's a big stretch) is a brisket I did recently. It was perfectly cooked, gorgeous smoke ring, but it did lack the smoked flavor just a it that I get with my stick burner. The RT 700 is out of your price range by quite a bit but Rec Tec has smaller, less expensive units you may want to take a look at. Another one to consider is Camp Chef. A good friend has the Woodwind and he absolutely loves it.

Robert

Reactions: kstone113
Hi,
first of all, thanks to everyone who will reply to my post.

I currently own a Pitboss K24 (kamado style) grill. I'm now looking for a complementary smoker and got interested in pellet smokers. I was hesitating between a vertical pellet smoker and a pellet grill. I want to do low and slow and already have my K24 for grilling or pizza, etc. It's gonna be mainly use for brisket, short ribs. I want an easy operation smoker for couple of hours of cooking.

What would be interesting for me with a budget of 4-500$

Thank you
I bought the Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed and I LOVE it !

Strong build... only two replaceable parts - fan & controllers. Genius design.
Ramps right up to 700 for a Sear. Easy to clean.

A real Game Changer at $500 !

I just pulled tonight's dinner off - Beef Sirloin and Pork Loin.

A real Game Changer at $500 !

I just pulled tonight's dinner off - Beef Sirloin and Pork Loin.

That's some great info.Appreciate you sharing but I have one question: where are the pics of the beef and pork? :emoji_wink: You have been here long enough to know the rules: no pics, never happened

Stirring the pot just a bit,
Robert

That's some great info.Appreciate you sharing but I have one question: where are the pics of the beef and pork? :emoji_wink: You have been here long enough to know the rules: no pics, never happened

Stirring the pot just a bit,
Robert
I am sorry Robert. I am still sorting out difficulties between my phone camera and my laptop.

This weighs heavily on my mind...

Reactions: jcam222
Does anyone here own a Pit Boss series 3? The reviews seem pretty extreme on both sides; either it works flawlessly or doesn't work at all....

For the Masterbuilt it seems very interesting, never heard of this model. I'll look for some more infos.

Reactions: Will Squared
Does anyone here own a Pit Boss series 3? The reviews seem pretty extreme on both sides; either it works flawlessly or doesn't work at all....

For the Masterbuilt it seems very interesting, never heard of this model. I'll look for some more infos.
The 560 is a brand new model. I think the first ones were sold in December. We got ours in mid- January and have done 9 cooks on it.
The 560 stands for 560 cu. in. . They are coming out in Spring with a 1060 for around $700.

This is the link to Product info at Masterbuilt...

I see it available online at Home Depot...

I don't see it online at Walmart now. Maybe they sold out their stock.

The 560 is a brand new model. I think the first ones were sold in December. We got ours in mid- January and have done 9 cooks on it.
The 560 stands for 560 cu. in. . They are coming out in Spring with a 1060 for around $700.
Has the inside coating of your hopper lid burned/melted away? Mine did on my first cook, after properly seasoning the grill. I did a brisket slow and low and 225 for 12 hours. I returned it for a new one and the new one is having the same problem after only about 4 hours of cooking on it. If it did, did you just burn through it and remove the coating? Here's a couple of pictures of what happened and what it looks like new.

Attachments

• IMG_7955.jpeg
    IMG_7955.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7957.jpeg
    IMG_7957.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8025.jpeg
    IMG_8025.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7960.jpeg
    IMG_7960.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Will Squared
Has the inside coating of your hopper lid burned/melted away?
No. The finish is fine but I do scrape the creosote that builds up. I have done 12 cooks and probably over 100 hours. The seal is fine too.
I am loving my 560.

Reactions: veezy
I have used my 560 several times for drying.
It holds good at 160' or 165.
150' seems to be just a little to low for it to handle so I get an "ERROR" message. I bump it up to 160 and the fan takes off.
Wife & I are doing chicken breasts next.
The beauty of the 560 is its simplicity of design.

One night I forgot to push in the slides when I shut down. I was drying again the next morning.
When I checked it in the morning the coals had stayed alive with just the draft through the 3" port so I did not have to restart. It only burned about 6" down the hopper. That was kinda cool.

I shut it down every time to save my lumps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky