Looking for a gratin recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maya

Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
I noticed that there was no gratin recipe here, and I think it's a perfect dish for a barbecue. I was wondering if you could offer me a special gratin - something not so ordinary. Looking forward to hear what you've got!

Thanks,

Maya
http://www.bbqforums.net/forums/

Welcome to the Forum, Maya. I'm taking a wild shot here-when you stated your request for a gratin recipe I was thinking a potato gratin. Then you said that you wanted something special and not so ordinary and I remembered a gratin recipe from one of my Culinary classes. So here you go, it will introduce you to an incredient you may not have seen or used before. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Sunchoke Gratin

Ingredients
1 pound sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes)
Salt
An oven-to-table baking dish
Butter for smearing and dotting the baking dish
Black pepper, ground fresh from the mill
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Instructions

Peel the sunchokes and drop them in salted, boiling water. Ten minutes after the water returns to a boil, check them frequently because they tend to go from very firm to very soft in a brief span of time. (Cook them until they feel tender, but not mushy when prodded with a fork.) Drain when done, and as soon as they are cool enough to handle, cut them into 1/2-inch slices.

Smear the bottom of a baking dish with butter, then place the sunchoke slices in it, arranging them so they overlap slightly, roof tile fashion. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and the grated Parmesan, dot with butter and place the dish on the uppermost rack of the preheated oven. Bake until a light golden crust begins to form on top. Allow to settle for a few minutes out of the oven before serving.

Cook in a preheated 400 degree oven or cook with the Indirect method on a grill. You can cook this in a smoker but remember to raise the heat toward the end of the smoking session to allow the crust to crisp up.
Yield: 4 servings

Hi Dutch,

As you know, I have tried quite a few recipes from your posts, and I've enjoyed every one. I'm sure you've noticed my many references to your thread on Baked beans... 8)

This recipe sounds very interesting to me and I would like to give it a try soon. My question; What exactly is a Sunchoke/Jerusalem artichoke and where can I find them? I'm not familiar with this ingredient, and do not recall seeing it anywhere around here. Is there, perhaps, a suitable substitute?

Cheers,
Brian

Hi, Brian! I find my Sunchokes in the Produce section at Walmart, they come in a clear cello bag. They maybe hard to locate so ask the Produce Guys where they hide 'em. The Sunchoke kind of looks like a stubby ginger root-maybe a little darker brown. I've posted a link that also has a picture that shows what they look like. As the article states, the Sunchoke is related to the Sunflower and not the Jerusalem artichoke. The article will also tell you what you can use for a subsitute. :D

About Sunchokes

Thanks, Earl. I'll look for them in a couple of the local markets. Who Knows? Maybe I'll discover a new favorite.

Cheers,
Brian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky