Look what I found...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
So reading the mushroom thread, I decided to go take a look to see if I have Chantrelles yet, and look what I found...

Bambi.jpg

It's a TINY little thing...didn't even BLINK at me when I got close! I backed slowly away, went and got my phone and took a few picks, then backed away again so I didn't spook her...I'm sure Mama-deer will be along shortly!

I feel so fortunate to live back in the woods like I do...I see SOME combination of deer, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, 'possums, rabbits, hawks, owls, etc on a daily basis and it never ceases to thrill my soul when I do!

Just sharing...as you were! :emoji_blush:

So reading the mushroom thread, I decided to go take a look to see if I have Chantrelles yet, and look what I found...

View attachment 673028

It's a TINY little thing...didn't even BLINK at me when I got close! I backed slowly away, went and got my phone and took a few picks, then backed away again so I didn't spook her...I'm sure Mama-deer will be along shortly!

I feel so fortunate to live back in the woods like I do...I see SOME combination of deer, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, 'possums, rabbits, hawks, owls, etc on a daily basis and it never ceases to thrill my soul when I do!

Dangdest looking Chantrelle I ever saw. And so nice to see you are back!

• Haha
Reactions: SherryT
Dangdest looking Chantrelle I ever saw. And so nice to see you are back!

Well, I went out around 9:30 (after dark) and took a peek from a distance...she's STILL THERE!

I read online that Mama would show back up around dusk...am I about to have to rescue this little thing??? :emoji_astonished:

Sherry, That is Nature at its finest.
Mona would go out of her mind if that was close to our place .
She would be setting up camp and feeding baby and mum.

( she is a lot like Elly May Clampett )

David

My brother shot a doe with bow early 1 season and there was a fawn on the other side he said, I smoked it and folks that normally didn't like deer meat loved it, I would love to say it was my skill but I suspect it was prime. I have taken a few yearlings over the years but never a spotted fawn but they eat very well lol.

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
My brother shot a doe with bow early 1 season and there was a fawn on the other side he said, I smoked it and folks that normally didn't like deer meat loved it, I would love to say it was my skill but I suspect it was prime. I have taken a few yearlings over the years but never a spotted fawn but they eat very well lol.
Seen a coyote get one hunting one year. Shot the coyote and we smoked the little spot like it was a pig. Tasty

Seen a coyote get one hunting one year. Shot the coyote and we smoked the little spot like it was a pig. Tasty

This is what happens when one gets overly-excited about finding a cute baby deer and posts a pic of it on a meat smoking forum...

For the record, I'm not gonna be smoking baby deer today! :emoji_wink:

It is mighty cute. And young too. Hopefully mama came back around for her. You may be adopting her. My uncle in Arkanasas found one that was way tiny (like weeks old), mama had been hit by a car and killed. He took it home and bottle raised it. Named it Rudy. Had a large fenced in area on his place. Rudy would follow him around the place like a dog. Gotta say that he ended up being the best fed deer to ever walk and had a huge rack on him. Broke my uncles heart when he finally died of old age.

Jim

It is mighty cute. And young too. Hopefully mama came back around for her. You may be adopting her. My uncle in Arkanasas found one that was way tiny (like weeks old), mama had been hit by a car and killed. He took it home and bottle raised it. Named it Rudy. Had a large fenced in area on his place. Rudy would follow him around the place like a dog. Gotta say that he ended up being the best fed deer to ever walk and had a huge rack on him. Broke my uncles heart when he finally died of old age.

Jim
Although a nice gesture on your uncles part Jim. That's a BIG BOZO NO-NO in VT. Unless your a registered/licensed rehabilator.

Went to check on her a couple of hours ago...looks like Mama finally showed up (at least that's how I'm gonna read it!).

Whew! I'd have rescued her and done my best to take care of her (!!!), but I sure didn't want to have to do it!

And yes, it's illegal in Alabama as well, but I'd have done it anyway...screw the PoPo! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I jumped a group of does with fawns last year or the year before as I was going into the field behind my barn in my side by side. All but one fawn went over or under the fence to the farm next to me except for one fawn. It decided to run past me and through the gate into the lot behind the barn instead of going with the rest. Poor thing was pretty much stuck in there since there was no way for it to cross to the other farm from there. I had to back up through the gate and herd it back out into the field so it could get back to mama.

View attachment 673028

That's so awesome! I love encountering wildlife like that :D

Sherry

To be fare, if you had posted a picture of the mushrooms you were looking for
There would have been lots of suggestions on how to eat and cook them also, lol :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: :emoji_sunglasses:

David
Yeah, I know...but she's SO FREAKIN' CUTE!!!!!!! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As far as the mushrooms, like I said last year my woods was chock-full of them for the first time. I even found a few lion's manes.

I wimped out last year, but I've done a LOT more research since then and am confident on the ID of the chantrelles and the lion's mane...if I get them again this year, it's ON! :emoji_yum:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky