Longanisa....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old poi dog

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 26, 2007
Maui, Hi.
Aloha Everyone

My wife and I did our first Sausage last week…Venison.  Sorry no views on that one.  Just to be sure we could do another successful sausage again we decided to do a Filipino sausage that is known as Longanisa.  There are many regions in the Philippines that make their version of Longanisa.  Our version is the Ilokano version, a sausage known for its vinegar/garlic traits. 

Normally the sausage is packed with bits of pure fat, but I am at the age that I need to watch my fat intake and cholesterol level.  I minimized the amount of fat in the sausage and skipped adding the fatback in the recipe we used.  All in all, the sausage had the taste I was trying to recreate and was healthier.  Here are some of the pictures of the Longanisa.

Pre grind

da223c62_PA160183.jpg

Through coarse die

3acb1455_PA160187.jpg

Roped

80c47b22_PA160188.jpg

Linked

1c0d97ac_PA160189.jpg

Thanks for taking time to check my Q-View.

Last edited:
You go Val !! That looks great. Man you took some time to get the sausage goin but looks like it paid off. Congrats

Looks good to me Poi, any chance you could share the recipe?
Sure Dan the credit for the recipe goes to Marvin Gapultos the owner of an LA Food blog "Burnt Lumpia"  If you can't find filipino vinegar, use a good quality apple cider vinegar. 

Homemade Longanisa v2.0

Makes 15-20 sausage links

(For a more in-depth read on sausage making, see my original post on Homemade Longanisa)

2.5 pounds boneless pork butt, cut into small cubes
½ pound pork jowl fat or backfat, cut into small cubes
2 Tablespoons good quality sea salt (about 0.90 oz.)
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
10 large cloves of garlic, finely diced
3/4 cup chilled Sukang Iloco, or
other Filipino vinegar
Hog casings, soaked overnight in water and then rinsed well inside and out.

Combine the cubed pork, fat, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and garlic in a large bowl.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, grind the chilled pork mixture through the large die of a meat grinder. Add the chilled vinegar to the ground meat and mix with your hands until just combined.

Form a small patty from the sausage mixture and fry the patty in a bit of oil until cooked throughout.  Taste the cooked patty for seasoning.  Add additional seasoning to sausage mixture if needed.  Cover and return the sausage mixture to the refrigerator and chill for one hour.

Fit the hog casings over a sausage stuffing tube then tie the loose end of the hog casing with kitchen twine. Stuff the casing with all of the meat mixture. Tie off the open ends of the casing with more kitchen twine.  Using the width of your palm, measure off individual links by pinching the sausage, twisting links, and then tying the links with kitchen twine.

Store fresh sausage in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months, until ready to cook.

Last edited:
My doctor just put me on chloresterol meds last week. I wonder why?????????????? I see you have the cabels stuffer, nice ....... yours looks bigger than mine. I have the 1hp. a #22.  Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try that someday... saved it to my recipe files

My doctor just put me on chloresterol meds last week. I wonder why?????????????? I see you have the cabels stuffer, nice ....... yours looks bigger than mine. I have the 1hp. a #22.  Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try that someday... saved it to my recipe files
boykjo,

icon_mrgreen.gif
  The camera lens added 10 lbs. to my grinder.  My grinder is a #8 and has half the horsepower of yours. 

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Now that's some good looking sausage and it sounds mighty tastey after looking at the recipe. Now do you smoke that sausage or it just leave it fresh???

mballi3011

Right now all of the sausages I've made are fresh.  Once the wife and i get the  technique down pact and our recipes sorted out, we'll do smoke  versions of what we make. 
smile.gif

icon_cool.gif

Now that's some good looking sausage and it sounds mighty tastey after looking at the recipe. Now do you smoke that sausage or it just leave it fresh???

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky