Lonestar offset

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Firebox paint blisters. It gets Africa hot there regardless unless insulated . The rest will be fine

Reactions: joetee
Treat it with oil as it’s cooling down and will season like a cast iron pan

Thats awesome. Cooked on mine this past weekend. I need to find a formal home for it. Rolling it in and out of the garage sucks.
Yes I here ya. I think when the weather turns nice again I'm be out there probably building something or another trying to find mine it home.
Had a nice controllable fire last night in it. Didn't cook. If had a fire in it every night since I got it. Last week end was my first long cook. Butt, beans, and Mac n cheese. I chased the fire the whole cook . But I've learned a lot since I started.

Thats awesome. Cooked on mine this past weekend. I need to find a formal home for it. Rolling it in and out of the garage sucks.
Is this your first offset? It is mine. Been hell trying to learn to use it. But I think I have it dialed in now.

gclark gclark - what size did you get? My LSG should be here in a week or two (was picked up for delivery yesterday from Lone Star) I fear I have to roll mine in and out of the garage. And from what Chris said, it should be easy enough for two people. :emoji_confused:

joetee joetee - Did you post any pics? I feel like I am going to have to get one of their smaller units for when it is just me cooking for myself and "she who must be obeyed". But will wait and see how many sticks this one eats.

I got the 20x36 offset. It's wonderful. Fuel efficient as well. 13 hr burn I think used about 5 full length splits I think. I have the fire management basket so I cut my splits in half, so about 8 - 10 inches long. Needs another split about every 30 to 60 minutes depending.

I have some photos. I'll put them up in a bit.

Reactions: Xendau
Is this your first offset? It is mine. Been hell trying to learn to use it. But I think I have it dialed in now.

Yea this was first. I dreamed of this for a long time. Talked to my wife about this one vs. that one. She eventually said I am tired of hearing about this just go buy one - so I did. My very first cook was beef plate ribs. They came out good, but I went too hot and chased it the entire time. Since then I feel like I have really dialed this in. I am still learning, I hear people say they put one log on every 45min. I have not hit that grove yet - I am more around 20-30 min. Maybe its my split size or I am giving it too much air. Either way it runs clean, stays at the temp I want.

gclark gclark - what size did you get? My LSG should be here in a week or two (was picked up for delivery yesterday from Lone Star) I fear I have to roll mine in and out of the garage. And from what Chris said, it should be easy enough for two people. :emoji_confused:

joetee joetee - Did you post any pics? I feel like I am going to have to get one of their smaller units for when it is just me cooking for myself and "she who must be obeyed". But will wait and see how many sticks this one eats.

I got the 24x40 with a 30" Vertical. I have not really used the vertical much yet - I did some beans in there once when I did a large cook for a neighbors son welcome home party from Kuwait. I did buy a charcoal tray to put at the bottom of it - I want to do some hot smoked chicken in there. I used to do snack sticks a lot in my previous smoker, but not sure I am ready to try and hold that low of temp with splits yet. Getting my courage up, with a lot of practice.

I would say the vertical is overkill for me, but I did not want to have any regrets of man I should have...

Now I roll mine in out of the garage myself. It was scary the first couple of times because it is top heavy with that vertical. I do have a little of lip between driveway and garage. So I use a 1/4 piece of plywood as a ramp. It works well - once you get it moving - its easy to roll. That could also be a dangerous thing, so take your time and be careful. It feels dangerous it probably is.

Yes I here ya. I think when the weather turns nice again I'm be out there probably building something or another trying to find mine it home.
Had a nice controllable fire last night in it. Didn't cook. If had a fire in it every night since I got it. Last week end was my first long cook. Butt, beans, and Mac n cheese. I chased the fire the whole cook . But I've learned a lot since I started.

If you come up with a idea for a cook shack or shed roof - I would be interested. I know I want to build something, but struggling on the best design (well wife approved). A simple pavilion style design might work best.

It's here. Actually about 6 days ago it arrived.

20210106_144548.jpg 20210106_144710.jpg 20210106_144912.jpg 20210106_145031.jpg 20210106_145445.jpg 20210106_145545.jpg 20210106_145711.jpg 20210106_150023.jpg 20210106_160647.jpg 20210106_174259.jpg

Gorgeous! Best of Luck and Great Meals...JJ

joetee joetee That is a beautiful smoker !! Amber at LSG just called me an hour ago to tell me my large cabinet is done !! Ordered a little over 5 months ago.. Still not crated or shipped yet, but at least the is a smoker at the end of the tunnel..:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky