London Broil?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

paulekelly1

Original poster
Sep 21, 2021
Hi all,

I've got a beautiful 1.5 LB London Broil left over from my CSA and was wondering if folks here have experience smoking this? I have read that it doesn't take well to smoking, too tough and lean of a cut, unless it's thin sliced for jerky. Using the search forum, I found a post by robrpb from last year that looked like it came out good (https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/london-broil.306266/) but the only other thread I found concerned using it for jerky.

Is there a marinade that would help the meat break down a bit in advance? Or maybe the move is to smoke it to 125 degrees and then doing a reverse sear?

Attachments

• IMG_20210923_133557253.jpg
    IMG_20210923_133557253.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: JLeonard
Here is a bourbon marinade that I've used and the recipe is for top round (London broil), but I use top sirloin. This recipe is out of a cookbook that I have, The Complete Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly. I pierce my steak with a fork all over instead of the 1/4" deep cuts that the recipe calls for.

Edit to add that 24 hours in the marinade is enough for our tastes. Any more than that, it gets a little overpowering to me...

Last edited:
Can you tell what cut it is ?
London broil is a method in my opinion .
Could be a couple different cuts .
Traditionally, London broil was either flank steak or top round. I assumed that since the label on his package said "Made From the Round", that it was top round. But everyone knows what happens when we assume things...:emoji_laughing:

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Top Round, aka London Broil, will turn out great when smoked to an 120° ish IT
then reversed seared on a screaming hot grill.
Sometimes I will marinade them, sometimes I won't.
However, I always use a jaccard meat tenderizer on Top Rounds before smoking.

London Broil is top round.

I like to use a jaccard and go all over both sides of the meat. If you don't have one stabbing it about 1000 times with a fork will do. Slather up with unseasoned meat tenderizer and let it sit in the fridge for at least a couple hours. Once that is done season up with whatever else you would like and you can go one of two ways. Smoke and then sear or just throw it on the hot grill until it hits 125. Slice thin. Always turns out great!

Hi all,

I've got a beautiful 1.5 LB London Broil left over from my CSA and was wondering if folks here have experience smoking this? I have read that it doesn't take well to smoking, too tough and lean of a cut, unless it's thin sliced for jerky. Using the search forum, I found a post by robrpb from last year that looked like it came out good (https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/london-broil.306266/) but the only other thread I found concerned using it for jerky.

Is there a marinade that would help the meat break down a bit in advance? Or maybe the move is to smoke it to 125 degrees and then doing a reverse sear?

That's more than likely "Top Round", and it takes to "Sous Vide" Quite Well, at about 132° for 24 to 30 hours.

Bear

Last edited:
This is the recipe that we use for Flank steak. We marinade overnight flipping the meat periodically. Give it a good sear and slice against the grain.

Flank Steak Marinade

½ cup salad oil

¼ cup honey

¼ cup red wine vinegar

1 T garlic powder

2 tsp ginger

1 cup soy sauce

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
London Broil is definitely a method rather than cut of meat, but if it was a cut it'd be Top Round.
It doesn't NEED to be tenderized, but in my opinion it sure as heck helps.
I too like to Jaccard tenderize and then I marinate for more tenderizing and added flavor.
Smoking with reverse sear is the way to go.
Then slice thin, on angle and across the grain.

Here is a couple I did.

Last edited:
Can you tell what cut it is ?
London broil is a method in my opinion .
Could be a couple different cuts .
Agree, London broil is basically how supermarkets market thicker cuts of meat , I've seen top round, sirloin tip, bottomround, top sirloin ,pork loin all called london broil when cut certain ways

Agree, London broil is basically how supermarkets market thicker cuts of meat , I've seen top round, sirloin tip, bottomround, top sirloin ,pork loin all called london broil when cut certain ways
Yup . I think some miscuts end up as London Broil . I've also seen pork loin butterflied or ripped along it's length sold as London Broil . Speaks to the way it's cut and an intended cooking method .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky