• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

London Broil...

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
It's on sale. $2.99/lb. Is it the same as tri tip roast? I might pick some up if it is. Are they cut the same? Or trimmed differently?

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
I'll have to see what cut it is. Probably make more of bear's roast beef, to put in the freezer.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
No . I make jerky out of London Broil . No fat .

h8that4u

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 4, 2014
i cook it very much like a Tri-Tip, but they are not the same cut. A good marinade for 12-24 hrs and on the smoker for 1.5 hrs at 200-225 then reverse sear to desired temp. My mom use to do them in the oven and broil them, my BIL did them on the grill, and while both where ok, it can be a tough meat as there is very little fat in them, smoked and reversed seared they are very good,

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I've used it for both jerky and dried beef. I believe its part of the top round. It is good for that. I've marinated it and grilled it as well. Came out ok.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Poke a lot of holes in it and marinate it with teriyaki sauce. Slice thin after grilling and use in a stir fry.

Chris

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
I think LB is best rare to medium rare. Turns to leather at medium. For some reason LB is really popular here. I tried it a few times and I think best one I did was lemon juice and worchestershire marinade and SP into the broiler. Totally plan to do a bunch once I get my SV.

dls1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 6, 2012
indaswamp,

London broil is NOT a specific cut of beef, but a method of preparing a cheap, tough cut of beef. Years ago, the preferred cut was flank steak, followed by top round. We've all seen flank escalate over time so anytime you see "London Broil" in the meat department, or at a butcher shop, it's probably, or no doubt, top round.

The typical preparation calls for first heavy scoring, or punching a lot of holes, in the meat then place in a acidic marinade overnight. The marinade generally calls for vinegar (white, red wine, etc), lemon juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and olive oil. To finish, broil (or grill) at very high heat briefly until done to an IT of no more than 130°F. Slice, against the grain, very, very thin.

Obviously, you can use tri-tip, flank, skirt, sirloin, etc, with the same preparation and call it "London Broil" if you choose to do so. You'll just pay higher price for the meat.

Last edited:

fajitapot

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 3, 2019
Top Round is hard to sell commercially, they can weigh 15-20lbs and it's not very tender. Slicing it into steaks (often tenderizing with a jaccard), and calling it London Broil is the most common. Otherwise it generally ends up as ground beef. It does work well for jerky though, or a lean roast beef.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Yup you have the answer top round is what it is and usually not tender.

Warren

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Yup, when they call it London Broil, it's usually "Top Round", which is Best used for: IMHO
#1 Dried Beef
#2 Smoked to 140°-145° and sliced real thin for RB Sammies and/or French Dip Sammies.
#3 Sous Vide at about 133° for 21 hours, and eat like Fork Tender Beef, and leftovers sliced for Hot Roast Beef Sammies with Gravy.

These are all in my Step by Steps Index (See Eye Round--Same thing).

Bear

fajitapot

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 3, 2019
It's also a good option to bring with you if you're attending a cookout with a group of people but not trying to spend a fortune on them. You know, people you like, but don't love! The steaks can be large, cheap, and sliced thin.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Know this is an older post but ran across it. Just my two cents I buy them when they are on sale.

Stab it with a fork about 10,000 times on both sides. Use dales Worcestershire unseasoned meat tenderizer and SPG. Let it sit for at least an hour and grill it at a high temp. Treat it like a giant steak. Usually take mine to 120-125 then let it sit for a few before slicing. Slice real thin. Turns out great every time and cheaper way to feed a lot of people “steak”.
upload_2019-3-6_20-4-30.jpeg

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.