log splitter build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Came across your build and just couldn't help but post pictures of my creation.  Built this a few years back when I lived up in Illinois,  oh how I miss my shop and country living,  this living in town crap and no shop is gona kill me!!!

Only thing I would do different is put the wedge on the ram and a house around it to pull it out if you get it stuck.  I only got it stuck once and took about an 30 mins of sawing and pounding wedges to get it freed up.  I use it to break down my big oak logs into smaller pieces for the smaller splitter.  It's really nice after you fall the tree and section it up you come in, knock a piece to the side, split it in half, split the half in to quater the just start th wedge on the quater, spin sideways to a pile and finish the split.  Can't wait to run here again end of the month when I head back upnorth too my folks place and drop some BIG dead oaks!!!

94ead843_splitzilla3.jpg
ec86035c_splitzilla5.jpg
15075266_splitzilla1.jpg
ed9c4b02_splitzilla2.jpg

Oh it is fun to run.  the power behind it is amazing!!!  you do need a spotter on bigger logs but as long as they know where to place the splitter it doesn't stop.  I actually testeed it on a 6x6 oak block cross grain and it had no proplem cutting it in half.

Those screw splitters just scare this farm boy!!

Guess just like any splitter you just have to read the wood and know how to use it to your advantage.  I've been falling trees and splitting wood all my life.  That's how my folks heated the house and dad got the splitter when I was 4, 36 now.  Always felt like cutting, splitting and heating  with wood was very rewarding.

Guess just like any splitter you just have to read the wood and know how to use it to your advantage.

Exactly!!!

I've been falling trees and splitting wood all my life.  That's how my folks heated the house and dad got the splitter when I was 4, 36 now.  Always felt like cutting, splitting and heating  with wood was very rewarding.

It's been the same with my family, and I feel the same as you.

~Martin

That looks like a little Harbor Freight trailer just like I've got to pull behind my motorcycle.

I'll make two suggestions.  First lengthen the tongue.  A short tongue doesn't pull good and definitely doesn't back good

Second thing is weld all of the frame members together.  I bolted mine together and pulled it behind my Road King for about 5,000 miles the day I finished it.  I started having problems with the lights blinking and not working right.  Finally figured out it was a ground problem because the frame itself wasn't grounding from piece t o piece.  I took my mig welder and welded all the joints and it solved all of my grounding problems.

I'd say with the rust that's on this one, welding is going to be a must to get a good ground!

Here's a picture of my motorcycle trailer with the extended tongue.  BTW, I bought LED lights from HF when they were on sale.  I pulled this trailer behind my Road King at speeds of 80 and 90 mph out West with no problems.

Well, I can't get the pictures to show up so here's a link:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/HDFlame/Ride To Remember 2007/100_2773_0209_209.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/HDFlame/Ride To Remember 2007/100_2206_0723_723.jpg

wow yeah i like the splitter on the bob cat man thats sweet :drool
i would have done the same thing

that screw type is a lil scary looking possibly a safety hazard lol :th_violent5:

Been too hot to work on anything lately!!!  Looks like this thing will split whole redwoods! 
biggrin.gif
   Can't wait to see it in action.

Last edited:
well its that time of year again i have had so many things going on all summer the log splitter had been put on the back burner
countless times
but i have resurrected it ill be putting up some pics tonight!!

not complete of coarse but making some progress the pivot point was of some concern ,originally i was going to cut some plate out of 3/8th flat bar and cut holes in them for the pin but
i started looking at the tank made from I beam and had about 2.1/2 inches of over hang there in the back that was not being used it starts out at 3/8 of an inch and gets thicker the closer u go to the middle
i try to do my projects in the most efficient way and that seemed to be the best solution for the pivot pin also getting it square was a issue
now that i have it on the frame i can make progress with the engine and pump cylinder and hoses im hoping it comes along pretty fast
i have been working on this for about a year and have roughly 600.00 in in minus labor thats also including the steel that was 200.00

im figured up its going to be 22 tons but i have a 2 stage pump and a 2 stage valve i did change the pump i purchased one online for $50.00
the old pump was a single stage and was limited to about 2200 psi the new pump does 3000 psi so the tonnage will go up i haven't done any final math
ill check on that tonight see what its gona do i did figure the area of the tank just under 15 gallons ill prolly put 10 in at 49 bucks per 5 gallons

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky