Lodge 6qt Camp Dutch Oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Will cook either a chuck roast or cornish hens with vegetables.
If you do hens, I have an old recipe for stuffing and cooking them.
Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice with about 1# of rendered pork breakfast sausage per box.
Stuff them while the mix is hot. Load the DO with the legs upward, fill the nooks with stout root veggies, and pour in 1 quart of chicken stock and water to get to braising level.
Ring the lid with lit charcoal briquettes.

Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice with about 1# of rendered pork breakfast sausage per box.
Stuff them while the mix is hot. Load the DO with the legs upward, fill the nooks with stout root veggies, and pour in 1 quart of chicken stock and water to get to braising level.
That sounds really good!!

Reactions: bill ace 350
No coals under the oven?

Hens stuffed with rice.
20240408_130711.jpg
20240408_130427.jpg
20240408_125031.jpg

Reactions: KBFlyer
That looks great.

No coals under the oven?
Sorry for some reason I didn't get email notification until today.
Fill the lid and use about 3/4 as many under the oven. The briquettes burn off pretty fast. You need to get the oven up to heat fast and let the cast iron do the cooking.
I lost my briquette count chart that we used for scouting events.

Reactions: bill ace 350
That looks great.

Sorry for some reason I didn't get email notification until today.
Fill the lid and use about 3/4 as many under the oven. The briquettes burn off pretty fast. You need to get the oven up to heat fast and let the cast iron do the cooking.
I lost my briquette count chart that we used for scouting events.
No problem. That's what i did. I also covered the whole oven with nt Webber grill lid. Seemed like it protected from the breeze pretty good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky