Location of pork butts in MES 30"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3 little pigs

Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Kentucky
I have a MES 30" that I have smoked single butts in before and had good success.  I need to smoke 2 at the same time for a work luncheon on Friday.  The butts are 7.5 lbs each and too large to fit on the same rack.  My question(s) is what racks would you recommend putting the butts on (bottom & middle, middle & top, bottom & top, etc.)?  Also, should they both be put center of the rack directly over top of the other one, or each one offset to the opposite side?   Any thoughts/opinions you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. 

The hotspot on that smoker is in the back right corner, so I'd use the top rack and the one below it, and probably place in the center of the smoker, with one right above the other, and maybe rotate the racks about half way through the cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky