Liver & Onions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
that looks delicious!

I like my liver still pink inside. that way it is not pasty, has nice meat texture.
My way of doing it, slice liver THIN, and lightly S&P it, fry bacon and remove, fry onions in bacon fat and remove, turn up heat to smoking, and lay in liver and quick fry to blood come out, then immediately flip it and fry til blood comes out and a few seconds more.... then remove, plate with bacon/onions.
I find if it isn't pink inside, it is overcooked for me, and the texture is like Pate, and not meat.
I would LOVE to try ChefJimmy's version! an interesting variation.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
that looks delicious!

I like my liver still pink inside. that way it is not pasty, has nice meat texture.
My way of doing it, slice liver THIN, and lightly S&P it, fry bacon and remove, fry onions in bacon fat and remove, turn up heat to smoking, and lay in liver and quick fry to blood come out, then immediately flip it and fry til blood comes out and a few seconds more.... then remove, plate with bacon/onions.
I find if it isn't pink inside, it is overcooked for me, and the texture is like Pate, and not meat.
I would LOVE to try ChefJimmy's version! an interesting variation.
Mine were still pinkish inside I know the pasty felling.
Richie

Nice work Tropics! Late B-Day wishes as well!

I LOVE liver cause it brings catfish to the line!!! LOL

As a kid was liver, onions, with bacon was a regular thing......I actually enjoyed it.....but a while ago I made the mistake of deciding to cook an elk liver (from an old 6x6 bull) in the 4.5 miles deep in the Idaho back country....even packed in bacon and fresh onions (and canned milk for a pre-cook soak) in hopes for a liver dinner after the kill..........It was also my 5th wedding anniversary (don't worry my wife was with....). After we got the liver to the perfect cook we proceeded to taste it........BIG MISTAKE......it was so nasty we couldn't even eat the bacon that was cooked with it......So other than catfish bait, I have been able to touch it since........

PS, dinner wasn't spoiled as we had taken a few forest grouse earlier in the day so those got roasted up over the fire.......

Nice work Tropics! Late B-Day wishes as well!

I LOVE liver cause it brings catfish to the line!!! LOL

As a kid was liver, onions, with bacon was a regular thing......I actually enjoyed it.....but a while ago I made the mistake of deciding to cook an elk liver (from an old 6x6 bull) in the 4.5 miles deep in the Idaho back country....even packed in bacon and fresh onions (and canned milk for a pre-cook soak) in hopes for a liver dinner after the kill..........It was also my 5th wedding anniversary (don't worry my wife was with....). After we got the liver to the perfect cook we proceeded to taste it........BIG MISTAKE......it was so nasty we couldn't even eat the bacon that was cooked with it......So other than catfish bait, I have been able to touch it since........

PS, dinner wasn't spoiled as we had taken a few forest grouse earlier in the day so those got roasted up over the fire.......

Sorry to hear about the Elk liver,I've only had venison and it was always good.
I have heard Ivory soap is good for catfish.
Richie

Sorry I'm a little late to respond - I just saw this thread. Happy Belated Birthday Richie.

Can't say I've ever had liver and onions, and I don't remember the folks ever making it. Your plate does make it look good.

Point for sure
Chris
BTW I think our Hannafords carries liver, next to the chicken gizzards and beef hearts.

Sorry I'm a little late to respond - I just saw this thread. Happy Belated Birthday Richie.

Can't say I've ever had liver and onions, and I don't remember the folks ever making it. Your plate does make it look good.

Point for sure
Chris
BTW I think our Hannafords carries liver, next to the chicken gizzards and beef hearts.
Thank you Chris
hannafords has Pork Butts this week 99 cents a pound.Do you have Shaws up by you?
Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Shaws is two towns over. About 45 min.

Chris

Cool, it's down the road from where I work. Does the sale end Saturday?

Chris

Cool, it's down the road from where I work. Does the sale end Saturday?

Chris
3 days Fri.,Sat.,Sunday with coupon if you have a Shaws reward account you can add it to your list
They were the ones in my post

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky