Little guy VS. Godzilla literally

Discussion in 'SMF News' started by bobl, Aug 9, 2010.

1. bobl

bobl Newbie

Not sure if this is in the right forum for this or not.

I wanted to post the following link as my support for GrillZilla in Damariscortta, Me.  I am in no way associated with this roadside 'Q joint nor have I ever eaten ther.

It seems as though the owners to the rights of Godzilla don't take kindly to a small roadside joint using a name similar to Godzilla.

This article is from the Portland Press herald, Portland, Me.  the link to the restaurant is in the article.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/monster-firm-bares-its-teeth-over-trademark_2010-08-08.html

2. lucky13

lucky13 Smoke Blower

Nice.  I would rather see some good BBQ any day over some stupid, poorly made freaking lizard!

3. placebo

placebo Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Gotta love the lawyers..... I'd be tempted to go with something like, "GodLizard Grill" [​IMG]

4. cliffcarter

cliffcarter Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I read that article yesterday in the Sunday Telegram, you'd think Toho, LTD would love the free advertising. Sounds like the owners are going to ignore it for now, as well they should.

5. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Maybe I'll change my name to Squirrelzilla. Oh no, there goes Tokyo, go go Squirrelzilla!

6. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

LOL----I can see it now:

Obsessive Crazy Woman "Squirrelzilla" runs rough-shod in Japan & destroys Tokyo !

US to transport King Kong & Mighty Joe Young to Japan, to help quell the situation.

7. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Run everyone it's SQUIRRELZILLA I'm sure that she has smoked TokYo by now and I'm really worried whats next......

8. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I just had a "Visual"...OMG!

TJ

9. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Don't fear the zilla, come and take my smoke, la la la la la la la........[​IMG]

10. squirrel

[​IMG]

11. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Well, after seeing that picture, Squirrel, you may be getting a letter from Toho's lawyers[​IMG]

12. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That is funny - so did I - maybe we inhaled too much of the maple bacon cure

13. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Those big companies sure try to run rough-shod over the small ones for sure.  There is a bakery here in town that specializes in cookies named after pin-up girls of WWII. The name of the company is My Dough Girl; the name of the company that's picking on My Dough Girl is Phillsbury/General Mills.

My Dough Girl story.

14. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Basically, nothing more than lawyers trying to earn their retainer fees.

15. herkysprings

herkysprings Smoking Fanatic

I'm curious.... if somebody opened up a BBQ stand called "Supergrill" and had a picture of an offset with a red cape attached to it, what the opinion would be?

Although I'm not one for lawyers picking on random helpless entrepreneurs the question remains, are they really playing off of Godzilla as a known and recognizable icon to enhance their marketing?

The person who came up with Grillzilla at their naming party surely did not put those random words together. Even the description of said events points to the fact that they are referencing, even if its in the back of their heads, Godzilla, when making the comparison.

Another question is: When does something so iconic move from a copyrightable entity in to main stream culture that anyone could use, and with what limits?

16. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Think the owner should have told the lawyer that he would drop the name provided he was allowed to rename it "Lawyer-Lizzard Grill" with a caricature of the lawyer on a spit! The caption underneath would say something like "Finally found a good use for a lawyer!" [​IMG]

Cheryl - I will never be able to look at a squirrel again without picturing the giant green squirrel attacking Tokyo! lol

17. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Squirrelzilla ???   Yep works for me...[​IMG]

18. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

OK, Squirrelzilla,

I saved this one way back when I was carving bears. I just happened to remember I still had it.

Squirellzilla:

[​IMG]

Bearcarver

19. squirrel

LOLOLOL!!!!! That looks about right Bear!

Sorry Bob for hijacking your thread. I got carried away.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  20. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I sense a new avatar for somebody! lol