Lining my smoker with hardy backer board

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hangingmeat

Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
Just wondering how many of you have built a smoker and lined the inside (not fire box) with Hardy backer board? I'm building a big smoker and the cost of aluminum and stainless have gotten ridiculous like everything else!
If you lined your smoker with Hardy backer board, let me know the pros and cons cause it looks like I'll be doing it myself. Thanks to all!

I lined the lower half of mine with HB board but I think indaswamp indaswamp lined his whole smokehouse with HB board.
So is the top of your smoker wood? Just wondering if you hot or cold smoke, and what temps your smoker sees. Any charred wood or problems with the upper wood framing??

Yes, I lined my firebox area 3 foot square by 3 foot high. The top 3x4 area where I hang meat is just plywood. I’ve had the smokehouse to 225* with no problem but I think indaswamp cooks brisket in his at 250*F if I remembered correctly. I have no charring of the wood in mine it’s black from smoke but not charred at all.

If you line with HB board it would be a good idea to leave a gap at the floor and ceiling for air circulation you don’t need much 1/2 to 3/4” is enough. Fir it out from the walls the same as well.

We had a member here (has since passed) that used to smoke turkey and ham in his at 225* all the time, just plywood no liner of any kind, with no issues. Wood smolders at about 400*F if I remembering right. That’s why I lined my firebox floor with bricks and walls with HB board. I have had zero issues and run a large propane turkey fryer for heat with a 12” cast iron pan on top to smolder wood chunks.

Your smoker sounds like a winner. My frame is made from Lowes untreated pine 2x4's with a 2x6 base around the bottom of the wood frame anchored to the block base. I think I might just go your route and just see how it goes unlined. The cost and aggravation skyrockets using aluminum or stainless. Did you say to leave a gap between the boards if using cement board, or just leave a gap top and bottom? I was going to use a stove pipe at the top to vent the smoke. I appreciate your input on this and thanks for your time! Rick

Yes gap top and bottom but also gap it against the wall with furring strips like lath so that air can circulate bottom out the top as heat rises this will help the wood stay cooler if you run hot.

As for the pipe out the roof, I have been cautioned against this because in time creosote will build up and condensation will drip that back down on the meats. I vented mine at the top of the back wall with a screened vent 3”x6” or so.

Yes gap top and bottom but also gap it against the wall with furring strips like lath so that air can circulate bottom out the top as heat rises this will help the wood stay cooler if you run hot.

As for the pipe out the roof, I have been cautioned against this because in time creosote will build up and condensation will drip that back down on the meats. I vented mine at the top of the back wall with a screened vent 3”x6” or so.

Is there any way you could shoot a couple pics of your setup? Sounds like you have a good one that works!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky