Lightning Got Me Again!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Just wanted to let you guys know, I'm not Dead yet, or sick.
Lightning hit our Cat 5 again on Saturday, It took out another Router, and we're not sure about anything else yet.
I only have a few minutes, because We're borrowing Bear Jr's "Verizon Hot Spot", so we could catch up and let you guys know I might be missing for another couple of days.
So when you notice I'm not there, this is why.

Bear Jr is going to change things around here to avoid the Lightning to Router PITA.
He's researching what he wants to do. Maybe a "Hot Spot" at each house, or maybe an antenna at each house, so we don't have to have the Cat 5 going from our house to the Pole barn and then to his house. WE think that's where the problem is.

I don't care which way he does it---He pays for it all through his Business.

Hope to see Y'all soon!!

Bear

I think I had it hit my chimney the other day . Bad storm rolled thru and a bright blue flash in the shape of a 10 " ball right in front of the fire place and a loud " snap " sound at the same time .

Glad to hear everyone is alright but router. Been a good while since hit here. Yea it takes some time to see if other things r affected. Hope the redesign works out for ya.

Duane

yeah, lightning sucks bear, nice to have someone around that knows what they're doing though.

Good luck with getting things fixed, and glad everyone is safe. I remember being on the flight line back in about 02, on top of an aircraft, and seeing lightning hit a fire bottle maybe 75 yards away. Scary stuff when you see it hit. Lucky it didn't use me as a lightning rod. Look forward to you coming back.

Lightening took out my neighbors chimney a few years back. Scared the crap out of the us. Looking forward to your return bear.

Chris

Glad to hear that John my internet has been gone for a few days.Stay safe hope Jr gets it fixed.
Richie

I'm Back!!
Thanks Guys!!
Here's the scoop:
So far the only things that got taken out are our Router & Bear Jr's Router.
We were connected to each other with a Cat 5 wire from our router to his router.
It appears as though the lightning hit the Cat 5 and went both ways, killing both routers. We're not sure if the Cat 5 is good or bad yet.
Bear Jr put a new router in for us. He just got it done & went to his house to put a new router in there. Then he'll be able to see if anything else got messed up.

I think Bear Jr & his Buddy are going to install 3 antennas, one at our house, one at Bear Jr's house, and one at the Pole Barn Shop in between our houses.
As long as they can see each other through the leaves on the trees, both of our Wifis should work, and since they won't be connected with a Cat 5, if one gets hit, they don't all get hit.

BTW: We used a "Verizon Hot Spot" while we were down, and he was thinking about going with that, but it was Much Too Slow!!

So that's all I know for now.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Bear, You can use a lightning arrestor, simple, cheap and work, basically diverts the strike to the ground before it hits anything in your Den.

Theres heaps of types available.

Example: $40 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-Aironet-340-Series-Lightning-Arrestor-AIR-ACC3354-/302503545749

I believe he ordered 2 of these:
unnamed.png

See if you can go with a radio link instead of that long run of wire. That wire is begging to be struck again. Ive seen my share of lightning strikes over my career.

Take care, keep your head down!

RG

See if you can go with a radio link instead of that long run of wire. That wire is begging to be struck again. Ive seen my share of lightning strikes over my career.

Take care, keep your head down!

RG

Yup, He's working on setting up 3 antennas---One for My house, one for his house, and one in between, so they can grab the WIFI through the air, instead of through that Cat 5 wire. The one in between will be there, because our 2 can't see each other due to all the foliage between us.

Bear

Good luck with getting things fixed, and glad everyone is safe. I remember being on the flight line back in about 02, on top of an aircraft, and seeing lightning hit a fire bottle maybe 75 yards away. Scary stuff when you see it hit. Lucky it didn't use me as a lightning rod. Look forward to you coming back.

Oh Man!!
I remember one time, about 40 years ago, we didn't even know there was a storm in the area, and I was taking a shower when all of a sudden one strike of lightning hit real close. Next thing I knew I was standing on the towel, outside of the shower. The hair was standing on the back of my neck, and the shower curtain was still closed, and I had no memory of my body moving from inside the shower to outside of the shower. It was Spooky!!!

Bear

Yup, He's working on setting up 3 antennas---One for My house, one for his house, and one in between, so they can grab the WIFI through the air, instead of through that Cat 5 wire. The one in between will be there, because our 2 can't see each other due to all the foliage between us.

Bear

Bear if your area is prone to lightning I would consider installing the lightning arrestor for each antenna (This is a standard) as it grounds the strike to earth. Surge protectors are good to protect the end devices.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky