Leveling Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BXMurphy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 12, 2022
Methuen, Massachusetts
I have a Weber SmokeFire that's on a slight slope. I use disposable foil trays to catch drippings and pour water in the trays because it makes me feel good.

Do you level off your smoker? If so, how?

Also... The trays warp out. Why am I pouring water in them? Do I need water? And if I don't need water, do I need a perfectly level smoker?

B

For me being a carpenter , and a little anal. Must be level for me.
But no big deal unless your butts are rolling out of the smoker:emoji_laughing::emoji_sunglasses:

Others will have to explain about the water trays, I always have mine full to begin the smoke and try to keep topped up, for me helps with temps and moisture ( I think )

David

perfectly level no , close yes my drip pan has a slight slope built in so even level it drains , also as heat rises it will go to the highest point in the cooking chamber , not a big deal but thats why mine is pretty close , i never use water pans

Reactions: BXMurphy
The only time I worry about whether it’s level or not, is when I’m using the side burner on our Genesis. If your cooking something that has grease in it, the grease goes to one side of the pan, and I level the grill out so it stays even..
Al

Somewhat depends on the cooker. I try to make sure the grease will drain properly and the like.

You can change the way offsets cook by how they are leveled. This especially is pertinent to reverse flows.

Oh boy, yes I do. I sometimes cook things in a foil pan, or a cast iron skillet and I use the minimum amount of liquid or melted butter, so it only takes about a second to notice that your juices are not even in the pan. My Eggs are on casters, so the quick fix is to level out the pan, not the cooker. I use metal shims on the low side.
BRtPyC3.jpg

The same goes for my outdoor stove, if it's not level it's harder to fry certain things, and my griddle won't drain into the grease tray. For my patio I have some metal discs from work that I painted yellow that I use for shims.
1pmlZIU.jpg
I use my pressure cooker in my garage, and the floor is only slightly off level, so a paint stir stick is perfect for shimming.
oUt9pol.jpg
My drums are a whole different story because of the round base, and because I never know where I might be cooking on them. I have steel wedges (also yellow) that I got from work that taper from 1.5" down, and are about 7" long. I can level them in a couple of minutes and it's very stable. You can see one wedge, the second one is about 45° away and hidden.
KHSbrqN.jpg

I have a Weber SmokeFire that's on a slight slope. I use disposable foil trays to catch drippings and pour water in the trays because it makes me feel good.

Also... The trays warp out. Why am I pouring water in them? Do I need water? And if I don't need water, do I need a perfectly level smoker?

B
i usually cook on the "warmer grate" (top) on my MB560. i bought two 9" steel "cake pans. I put them on the searing(bottom) grate as drip pans. i put water in them just to make cleaning easier. don't know if it makes a differnce.

B
do you have access to the nuts that tighten the casters? If so you might be able to put a bolt between the caster and the smoker to control the height of the smoker.

do you have access to the nuts that tighten the casters? If so you might be able to put a bolt between the caster and the smoker to control the height of the smoker.
That would work given that it's a stud mount caster and not a plate mount, so long as the stud is long enough to do what you are saying.

Oh boy, yes I do. I sometimes cook things in a foil pan, or a cast iron skillet and I use the minimum amount of liquid or melted butter, so it only takes about a second to notice that your juices are not even in the pan. My Eggs are on casters, so the quick fix is to level out the pan, not the cooker. I use metal shims on the low side.
View attachment 631533

The same goes for my outdoor stove, if it's not level it's harder to fry certain things, and my griddle won't drain into the grease tray. For my patio I have some metal discs from work that I painted yellow that I use for shims.
View attachment 631534
I use my pressure cooker in my garage, and the floor is only slightly off level, so a paint stir stick is perfect for shimming.
View attachment 631535
My drums are a whole different story because of the round base, and because I never know where I might be cooking on them. I have steel wedges (also yellow) that I got from work that taper from 1.5" down, and are about 7" long. I can level them in a couple of minutes and it's very stable. You can see one wedge, the second one is about 45° away and hidden.
View attachment 631536
Nice setup you got there. Thanks for the pix.

Where'd you get the wedgies; online?

Murph

Smoking studs?
Yea, it depends on if you want a permanent solution or if you want to readjust it every time. Since the smokefire is on wheels, I doubt the wedges will work well. If you don't get what I wrote, I can add a picture.

And, I guess all smokers are studs of some sort. :emoji_sunglasses:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky