LET'S TALK BRISKET!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Me too! Memphis area Costcos don't carry the prime packers. I can usually pick up choice packers at Walmart for $2.99lb in the fall. But the rest of the year, you're lucky to find select packers period.

Lance

Hi Folks,

The Yankee is here.

I always get a flat brisket. And I'm ashamed to say, I honesty have no clue what the different cut of briskets are.i do know it can make a difference.

When I pick a brisket I look for fat on one side, and a decent amount of marbling. The marking helps keeps it juicy and (for those who don't know,it's the fat that runs through the beef). Than I do a custom rub. Paprika, garlic powder, pepper, salt, brown sugar, onion powder, and whatever else I want to put in there. I let the rub sit overnight at least. I aim for bark.

Next morning I'm out there getting the coals warmed up. I throw on either mesquite or hickory, and a few apple or cherry chunks. I plop the meat down when it hits around 300. Now my smoker is by no means fancy (plenty of leaks, and not even sure if the temp is right), but it works.

I've read about different ways. Injecting it, mopping it, brining it, etc. I never have done anything fancy like that. One thing I do do, since my smoker is not electric and I get so excited I put too much coal in and it gets too hot, I put some apple juice on the bottom (helps cools and can add flavor).

Once the internal temp hits about 185, I wrap in foil. I also have taken the brisket out of the smoker, wrapped in foil and finished in the oven. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and it had no effect on the end result.

I usually let the brisket sit, but sometimes my wife gets too excited and just cuts right in. Sacrilegious I know, but it always comes out juicy and tender.

That's my input here. Don't get too fancy. If I can make it juicy with a nice bark and a cheap $100 smoker with holes, so can you. I'll be doing some pork butt and brisket for father's day and will be sure to post pics. Ones attached are from the past year.

Last edited:
So the lesson here is: if it is good and the family likes it then that it matters.. who are you cooking for? The family or the internet???

So excited, once the cow tips ((https://www.crowdcow.com/l/ujmozkaxw/17)) I should have an 11 pound brisket on the way. 

Now in the past I have had success with curing and smoking to make pastrami. However, this time I am trying to keep it simple so the taste of the meat comes through. I was planning just to salt and pepper and smoke it slow and low as many people have recommended on this thread.

Of course pics will follow. 

I taught my children how to do brisket they have modified their cooks to suit themselves. One minor problem they all had and I have to admit sometimes I am not real clear on it is which way to slice across the grain after it is cooked. Brisket goes in three different directions. What we do is to look at the brisket before it is cooked and put three slight cuts at the nexus so after it is cooked you can see which way the grain runs in which section. This way you always get a tender slice through the whole brisket.

Question: my brisket is a few inches too big for the smoker tray. Should I cut it to fit? Or put it in as is and expect that it will shrink before it is done?
You basically have those 2 options - Trim a few inches so it fits (this will give you a snack before the rest is done) OR  knowing that it will shrink go ahead and put it in like it is.  Personally I have put one in that was about an inch or so too big and it was fine since it did shrink.  They all shrink some.

Two ways I can think of. Put it in as is . It will definitely shrink or separate the point from the flat.. if you can't do them side by side then smoke the flat and then the point..

I bought my first whole packer brisket (prime) will be smoking Sunday I'm going to do slat and pepper only and smoke with lump charcoal and oak chunks. I plan on wrapping with butcher paper instead of foil. Hope to maintain a 250 temp it's 12.5lbs currently. Will post picks of the process and the out come. Following the franklin trimming and smoking method from his videos. I figured it can't hurt to try his theory and I can adapt it moving forward if necessary.

Glad I stumbled upon this thread and grateful for all the tips and advice provided. MIL recently picked up an 8lb flat from Sam's but paid a hefty price of at least 4 bucks a lb. Not being too savvy I guess she didnt even question it. I wouldnt have paid that but hey I'm just the cook.
Fired up the grill, rinsed, trimmed and seasoned with simple SPOG. Allowed the kettle to hit 250* according to the dome therm and put her on indirectly in the Kingsford comp and cherry rich atmosphere.
Only lid lifting was done to move meat in relation to snake advancement. After 6 hrs I had to extend the snake so there was about a 10 min lull as the meat sat on the sidelines. At the 8 hr mark I probed for an IT of 170 so I foil panned it and put her back in the dark. At the 10 hr mark I did a toothpick test and figured I had about another hour to go so I did just that. At 11 hours I peeled back the foil for another probe test and was satisfied with results and checked the IT which was at 203*. Recovered in the pan and allowed to rest for another 1.5 hrs prior to slicing. Thanks to the previous posters' advice, I employed alot of patience and used time and tenderness to track the meat in lieu of IT which is my normal MO. Hunk of meat turned out excellent and was given kudos by the in-laws for my efforts ad the final product!

This is such a good thread! I'm in the same boat of have a dry brisket. I have only tried flats, mostly because I can't fit a whole one in on my shelf. I saw someone suggest keeping the point and just halving it. I might try that.

One thing I didn't see was pre cook routines. How does everyone treat it?

Do you marinate it? If you are, how long?
Looks like most people prefer EVOO & SPOG for their rub. How long are you letting the rub sit? 24 hrs? 12hrs? Or just right before the smoke?

Thanks!

My Process:

I maranate it in a mixture of beef broth, catsup, and soy sauce overnight. I take it out of the fridge for about an hour and then rub it down while the smoker gets ready. I smoke it around 225 uncovered (I use a water pan). I start to mop it once IT hits 145. I mop in once an hour until IT hits 170 then I wrap it in foil and pull it off around 200. I then wrap it up with towels and put it in a cooler for a couple of hours. Flavor is good but always dry.

At papa, do you let the brisket drop down 20 or 30 degrees in a rest with open foil before you wrap it and hold it? I think pulling at 200 and then going right to a towel wrap and cooler for the hold is allowing the brisket to just keep cooking at to high of a temp..
Try to rest it 30 minutes and then rewrap at like 180 or 170 . Then hold it in the cooler. Although maybe someone else has better knowledge.

This is such a good thread! I'm in the same boat of have a dry brisket. I have only tried flats, mostly because I can't fit a whole one in on my shelf. I saw someone suggest keeping the point and just halving it. I might try that.

One thing I didn't see was pre cook routines. How does everyone treat it?

Do you marinate it? If you are, how long?
Looks like most people prefer EVOO & SPOG for their rub. How long are you letting the rub sit? 24 hrs? 12hrs? Or just right before the smoke?

Thanks!

My Process:

I maranate it in a mixture of beef broth, catsup, and soy sauce overnight. I take it out of the fridge for about an hour and then rub it down while the smoker gets ready. I smoke it around 225 uncovered (I use a water pan). I start to mop it once IT hits 145. I mop in once an hour until IT hits 170 then I wrap it in foil and pull it off around 200. I then wrap it up with towels and put it in a cooler for a couple of hours. Flavor is good but always dry.

I'm new here. I just joined today.

I have this packer going on a free Brinkmann I picked up and modified. I see my packer is at least 4 or 5 inches longer than the ECB grate. But I'm gonna put it on as is. I'm gonna foil the tips that are jammed into the smoker and hang over into the heat coming up around the water pan. [emoji]128512[/emoji] I will remove the foil after the thing shrinks up lol. Just salt N pepper this smoke.. in about 5 hours. [emoji]9749[/emoji] Good luck on all your future smokes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky