LET'S TALK BRISKET!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This is a great read, lots of good info. I haven't smoked a brisket in a little while but I figured I'd share my method and experience. I start with a Select grade packer usually around 10 or 11 lbs, if I could find Prime for the prices some of you found I'd get that. I rub it down with olive oil, coarse ground kosher salt, and lots of coarse ground pepper. Oak or pecan mixed with some apple is my preference of wood.
Smoke at 225-230 for 4 hours, after 4 hours I insert the probe in the meat to maintain a reading. While the box is open I mop with a mixture of red wine vinegar, apple juice, Worcestershire sauce, and beef broth. Close the lid and smoke to an IT of 160, wrap tightly with foil, adding a little more of my mop sauce, and continue smoking at 225-230. I don't touch it again until the IT hits 195, at that point i start checking it with a probe for tenderness. Once tender i will pull it out, wrap a couple more layers of foil around it, and wrap in a towel for 2-2.5 hours until ready to serve. 99% of the time they are trying to fall apart as i slice them, the other 1% it is still very tender and delicious. I will be sure to post pics next time i smoke one.

Hello SlySmoke.  Well I smoke mine at 300-350.  I like to cook and eat in the same day.  14 lbs.?  12-14 hrs. TOPS!  Actually might be done in 10-12 hrs..  But my way is not the only way ( of course I believe my way is the best way ).  Good luck buddy.  Post picts.!!!  Keep Smokin!

Danny

I'm in  let me grab a cup of coffee  
Coffee.gif

Gary

At about 11 hours IT was 198. Flat was poking very easily, the point not so much, but it was thicker.

I pulled it and sliced some of thicker part off the top of the point for a few burnt ends, then wrapped the rest for a nap in the cooler.
Flat was juicy and tender, in fact maybe too tender? 1/4 inch slice wouldn't hold up to its own weight.

Anyway, plated up with some beans and mashed cauliflower. Thanks for this thread.

[h2]How to Make Pastrami (Smoked Corned Beef Brisket)[/h2]
Find a usda at least prime graded top round for brisket on sale.  Do not buy a prepackaged corned beef.
C:%5CUsers%5CPatrick%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.jpg

• The Brine

At least a week in a large sealed baggie in the fridge, turning each day.

Wash it well and apply a thin layer of Dijon mustard and the following rub;

The Rub

• 1teaspoon  black pepper
  • [sup]1[/sup]⁄[sub]2[/sub]teaspoon  dry mustard
  • [sup]1[/sup]⁄[sub]2[/sub]teaspoon allspice
  • [sup]1[/sup]⁄[sub]4[/sub]teaspoon  ground cloves
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder

Set the smoker for 225 degrees.

Here is where you choose mild or robust wood but hickory, apple, pecan or cherry, you can’t go wrong

Now smoke the crap out of it – I mean go to an internal of at least 180, then cool it and slice it thin.

Excellent resource...not sure why it took me so long to find it.

I'm sitting here now reading through a lot of this material while my first smoked brisket attempt is taking place. It's a 5 lb first cut and it's been in my Masterbuilt electric for about 5 1/2 hours.

I'll post pics of the progress but generally, this is how I did it.
  • 5 lb brisket
  • Yellow mustard smear over meat and cover w/ rub (I'm using Oakridge BBQ's Special Pps Brisket rub)
  • I cut off the corner notch against grain to remind me which direction to cut against the grain
  • Smoker to 210-225º
  • Using hickory and apple wood mix
  • I added apple juice, some bourbon, and a couple cut up pears into the drip pan
  • Smoked until 170º (plateau-ed around 160-163º and stayed there for a couple hours)
  • I removed meat and wrapped in double pouch of foil
  • Poured a bit of apple juice in pouch
  • Put back into the smoker until almost 200º
  • Wrapped foil pouch w/ towels and place into PRE-WARMED cooler for only 30 min (I had initially planned for 1-2 hours)
  • Remove and pour au jus into bowl, mixed w/ a little homemade bbq sauce but wasn't sure it needed it
  • Sliced against grain and served
Here are some pictures of my Sunday.

I sat inside and watched the Eagles game with an Ivation wireless thermometer next to me while all this was happening. As it turned out, I could have left the Eagles off and just focused on the meat.

Rub applied, before going into smoker:

About 30 min in:

Things kept looking good but the Eagles were just awful, creating anxiety for me over the seemingly never-ending plateau time. I was getting almost no movement for almost two hours. The game just got worse from there:

Finally, I removed the meat when IT reached 170º (a bit dark, i apologize) and foiled it for the remaining 25º:

So the final push was taking a while and the wife began glaring at the clock and giving me the evil eye.  I bumped heat up to 275º to get things moving faster. 

When the meat read 195º, I took it out of the smoker, wrapped it in towels and let it sit for just 30 min.

Here's the final product. Very slight smoke ring...was hoping and expecting more.

And here's a close up:

The family devoured it and raved but I think it should have been a bit more tender. The lesson I learned is to start earlier so I have a better chance of keeping low & slow going and also to ensure I've got enough sitting time after removing from the smoker. I might also try a cut other than the flat to see if my results are different.

I give it a 7.8 but I'm not disappointed as a first brisket attempt. I look forward to going through the archives of content here for additional tips. 

Will aim to improve next time.

Jonathan

Excellent resource...not sure why it took me so long to find it.

I'm sitting here now reading through a lot of this material while my first smoked brisket attempt is taking place. It's a 5 lb first cut and it's been in my Masterbuilt electric for about 5 1/2 hours.

Things kept looking good but the Eagles were just awful, creating anxiety for me over the seemingly never-ending plateau time. I was getting almost no movement for almost two hours. The game just got worse from there:

lurk.gif
 I hope you got explicit written consent and expressed approval from the NFL to post that picture! LOL. I bet you cut the tags off your mattress' too! 
battery-062.gif

Nice looking brisket. Judging by that pull test you were almost there. Next time you'll get it for sure. How was the au jus sauce?

lurk.gif
 I hope you got explicit written consent and expressed approval from the NFL to post that picture! LOL. I bet you cut the tags off your mattress' too! 
battery-062.gif

Nice looking brisket. Judging by that pull test you were almost there. Next time you'll get it for sure. How was the au jus sauce?
Au jus turned out very well, actually. Thanks for the comments.

NFL only cares about copyright infringement when winning teams are involved. Eagles don't fall into that category...

I jumped in the deepend but I learned how to swim before doing so. I just smoked my first brisket last night on my new MES 30" with A-maze-n pellet smoker using oak, hickory and cherry pellets. I couldn't pass up $1.97lb whole packers at my local HEB. Even if it was the first meat I was going to smoke!

So far I smoked salt and cold smoked cheese. Haha.

I went naked for 11hrs, first 8 at 235F then 2hrs 260F and last bit 275F just SPO and wrapped/rested 1.5hrs in cooler. I did hack my brisket right in half so some of the flat was still on the point and I trimmed fat down to less then 1/2". I pulled it at 200F IT because I could no longer stay up and I knew when I fell asleep I wasn't waking up. It should of went a little longer but it's not tough, dry or bad just not fall apart all fibers broke down awesome like I am used to living in ATX (5yrs now, 25yr spent in NE PA)

I have a 2ND brisket I am going to be doing in 2wks so I froze in the mean time along with my other half. I learned a lot last night and I have you guys to thank!
My amazed jumoed and I had 3 rows going for the first 1hr, I moved it to lowest rack and foil shielded it and reloaded once it went out so I got Heavy smoke the first 3hrs.

Sliced pic is after being in the fridge. Most was easy with a toothpick when I pulled it and like I said I grew impatient but for 1st meat, 1st brisket I'm not intimidated at all. I'm looking forward to smoking a lot more, as long as my apt complex doesn't spaz out over my "electric grill".

Last edited:
Ive smoked briskets in smokeres made out of tin and my old home made job. These are regular ole briskets from HEB. I do not trim the fat. If you dont want the fat then dont eat it. I dry rub them and let them sweat for about an hr. I do not use sugar in my dry rub. Throw them on at 225 for 6 to 8 hrs. I cook fat side up the entire time. Mop them every hr. I do use a little brown sugar and honey in my mop. Fresh peaches glazed with 1 habanero pepper and cooked down into a mop is pretty good too. Anyway after 6 to 8 hrs i wrap mine in foil for a couple of hrs and turn up the heat to about 325 to 350. Pull the and throw them in a icechest untik im ready to serve them. Usually fall apart tender which is what i like.

Last edited:
Ive smoked briskets in smokers made out of tin and my old home made job. These are regular ole briskets from HEB. I do not trim the fat. If you dont want the fat then dont eat it. I dry rub them and let them sweat for about an hr. I do not use sugar in my dry rub. Throw them on at 225 for 6 to 8 hrs. I cook mine fat side up the entire time. Mop them every hr. I do use a little brown sugar and honey in my mop. Fresh peaches glazed with 1 habanero pepper and cooked down into a mop is pretty good too. Anyway after 6 to 8 hrs i wrap mine in foil for a couple of hrs and turn up the heat to about 325 to 350. Pull the and throw them in a icechest until im ready to serve them. Usually fall apart tender which is what i like.

Last edited:

I finally smoked a prime brisket I'd been hanging on to for a while. I don't really know what I did different but this one came out really good. The only thing I did different was in the trimming.  I watched Franklin's video on how to trim a brisket and that resulted in a much better trimmed brisket than I usually start with.  

Other than that I smoked it low - 225-250. I didn't open the lid until it was time to start probing - around 14 hours in.  When it was done, I wrapped it in foil and did the cooler thing for a couple of hours.  

I would say, relative to my "ideal brisket" it had about 9/10 tenderness, 8/10 moistness, 8/10 flavor.  That is actually pretty dang good.  By my rating system, 95% of commercial brisket is not that good.  

My family usually moans when I smoke a brisket because, in the past, the results haven't been that good.  This time they ate it up and I think I probably even have permission to smoke another one sometime, lol.  
Did another one and, again . .it came out awesome.  I'm starting to think that a LOT has to do with meat selection.  This time, I went to a butcher shop and got a prime brisket.  I picked the one that looked the best - well marbled and just, in general, "nice looking".  If you're ever in San Antonio, a visit to Bolner's Meat Market is worth your trouble. 

I re-watched the Franklin BBQ Brisket Trimming video on youtube and, again followed that method.  I used Head Country Rub (again) and smoked low and slow - didn't lift the lid until 15 hours in and it ended up going for 19 hours.  The smoker got away from me and the first 5 hours or so were at around 265 - from then on it was around 225.  I actually had to rush it by wrapping it in foil for the last hour because I had dinner plans and needed to get it in the cooler before we left.  Dinner was epic and it spent 7 hours in the cooler and then directly into the fridge overnight.  The next day I cut about 3lbs of the flat and re-heated it by vacuum sealing it, submerging in a pot of water and put into a 225 degree oven for 2.5 hours.  

As it just happened to be, the only bread I had was some 2 day old flour tortillas and the only accompaniment I could offer were pickles.  I was really crossing my fingers, lol.  It came out amazing and my Dad, my wife and I absolutely demolished it - nothing left but a few smears of fat on the cutting board.

Hello.  As most know I am not a big rub fan but if that is your thing that Head Country Rub is some good stuff.  Until you come up with something of your own I would stay with it.  I can eat that stuff straight out of the bottle!  WELL; in moderation.  
icon_biggrin.gif
  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky