Lessons learnt over the summer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 30, 2018
Grande Cache Alberta
I spend the summers in Northern Saskatchewan with a healthy population of mosquitoes and black flies and of course our mosquito coil supply was running low, all stores where sold out. Dam Covid, seems everybody was spending time outside. So I thought I’d try my mailbox mod. as a smudge. Worked like a charm, I bought a bag of heating pellets for $4 instead of using the $20/bag cooking pellets once I realized it would work. I have more hours on my oval tube smoker repelling mosquitoes than I have actually using the tube for it’s intended purpose.

Talking to a Conservation Officer while he was setting a bear trap he has a secret ingredient he uses to supplement the bait, in Saskatchewan they use oats and honey(low odour) in their campsites. To get the bears attention they sprinkle Liquid Smoke in and around the trap, sprinkle some on nearby trees and let the wind spread the scent. Two bears trapped in two nights. After that conversation I started putting my smoker away in the garage when not in use. MES are fairly robust but I doubt it would stand up to a bear trying to get inside.

Funny how there's some things we don't think about due to geographic location...bears not much of a problem here. But I doubt your mes would have handled it well. Suppose CS has ever gotten that call before?

Ryan

Interesting what tricks we can learn from locals just doing their job.
I have also learned that peppermint oil works well as a skitter repellant.

Warren

Great story!
We are having a black bear problem here in Central Florida. I’m not sure why, but they are coming into our neighborhoods & raiding garbage cans & breaking into houses. Never seen this before. This country & world is returning to the animals, At least if you have weapons you will have food to eat! Unless the Govt restricts guns and ammo. I just bought 200 rounds of 223 for my AR & the price was just outrageous. But at least I have plenty of ammo, most of my guns are 22LR & I bought up about 22,000 rounds back when it was cheap. So I’m set!
Al

Interesting what tricks we can learn from locals just doing their job.
I have also learned that peppermint oil works well as a skitter repellant.

Warren
Never heard of that will try it next summer. My wife loves peppermint, wonder if she would lick it off of me... sorry wrong forum. LOL. For horse and deer flies Coconut smelling sun screen works better than product with DEET.

Great story!
We are having a black bear problem here in Central Florida. I’m not sure why, but they are coming into our neighborhoods & raiding garbage cans & breaking into houses. Never seen this before. This country & world is returning to the animals, At least if you have weapons you will have food to eat! Unless the Govt restricts guns and ammo. I just bought 200 rounds of 223 for my AR & the price was just outrageous. But at least I have plenty of ammo, most of my guns are 22LR & I bought up about 22,000 rounds back when it was cheap. So I’m set!
Al

Man you have balls, IMHO .223 is a little for bear. Without getting political you US citizens have way more freedoms with your firearms than us Canadians. Blame you bear problem on Covid, people hunkered down the wildlife moves in. Hunting pressure or lack of also factors in. When I first moved to Alberta if you were lucky enough to see a Grizzly it was it’s ass end fleeing to the tree line. The Grizzly population was deemed threatened so the government shut down the Grizzly hunting season about 15 years ago, now you see Grizzly Bears in the ditch that might look up at you but don’t run anymore.

Ok time for a laugh here.
2 mosquitos were attacking this man and one said to the other do we eat him or take him to the woods?
Second one replied we should eat him here if we take him to the woods the bigger guys will take him away from us.

Warren

Reactions: Murray
Ok time for a laugh here.
2 mosquitos were attacking this man and one said to the other do we eat him or take him to the woods?
Second one replied we should eat him here if we take him to the woods the bigger guys will take him away from us.

Warren

Thanks for that memory, Warren!
LOL---That same thing happened to me about 51 years ago, and I heard the same discussion about 12,000 miles from home!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky