Lesson's learned!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reasoning

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Iowa
Lesson 1. Dutches wicked baked beans are AMAZING and I recommend them to everyone

Lesson 2. Spare ribs are not for me, maybe I didn't do something right but I used the 3-2-1 method and they came out dry and just overall not nearly in my opinion as good as baby backs thats I've made.

Lesson 3. need to buy a thermapen because the Spatchcocked chickens I made read good on my old style meat therm but when pulled was not very easy to pull and was slimy in parts. I ended up tossing it instead of serving it to my guests including several children, better safe than sorry

Last edited:
What temp were you smoking at and what thermometer were you using for the pit temp

Lesson 2. Spare ribs are not for me, maybe I didn't do something right but I used the 3-2-1 method and they came out dry and just overall not nearly in my opinion as good as baby backs thats I've made.

Not sure what might have went wrong on your end, I started smoking in late June early July, and to date I have done 4 smokes of spare ribs.

Each time, they turned out great - even the first smoke that was first time for me. They were a big hit for the family.

I can say how I did mine - I too used the 3-2-1 method.

Made up a mixture of Jeff's rub, put a layer of mustard on them the night before, and put a very generous portion of the rub on - wrapped and put in fridge overnight.

Smoked them the next day at app 220F, meat side up.

I sprayed a mixture of Apple Juice/Apple Cider Vinegar ( 50-50), on the ribs every hour for first three hours - very generous amounts.

After three hours, I foiled them ( spraying same mixture on before sealing up in foil), and put them back on for two more hours.

After those two hours, unfoiled them, again sprayed a coating of the spritz on, and smoke the remaining hour. The last 30 minutes or so, I basted bbq sauce on them, to seal the deal.

They were really good, very juicy and tender - now they didn't fall off the bone on their own, but very tender still requiring only a slight tug while eating to pull away from the bone - which is how I like them myself.

I used charcoal for the fuel, and put about 4-5 chunks of hickory on it about every hour or so for the first three hours, shooting for that TBS, no hickory after that, just the coals.

I am sure others will have good tips for you - don't give up on the spares yet, they are really hard to beat when it comes to ribs, when they turn out right.

well thanks for the advice and the encouragement, I will have to try them again sometime.

Not sure what might have went wrong on your end, I started smoking in late June early July, and to date I have done 4 smokes of spare ribs.

Each time, they turned out great - even the first smoke that was first time for me. They were a big hit for the family.

I can say how I did mine - I too used the 3-2-1 method.

Made up a mixture of Jeff's rub, put a layer of mustard on them the night before, and put a very generous portion of the rub on - wrapped and put in fridge overnight.

Smoked them the next day at app 220F, meat side up.

I sprayed a mixture of Apple Juice/Apple Cider Vinegar ( 50-50), on the ribs every hour for first three hours - very generous amounts.

After three hours, I foiled them ( spraying same mixture on before sealing up in foil), and put them back on for two more hours.

After those two hours, unfoiled them, again sprayed a coating of the spritz on, and smoke the remaining hour. The last 30 minutes or so, I basted bbq sauce on them, to seal the deal.

They were really good, very juicy and tender - now they didn't fall off the bone on their own, but very tender still requiring only a slight tug while eating to pull away from the bone - which is how I like them myself.

I used charcoal for the fuel, and put about 4-5 chunks of hickory on it about every hour or so for the first three hours, shooting for that TBS, no hickory after that, just the coals.

I am sure others will have good tips for you - don't give up on the spares yet, they are really hard to beat when it comes to ribs, when they turn out right.
Some good advice right there.
icon14.gif

Also you can adjust you times on the 3-2-1 to you taste

I have to say that 3-2-1 is a starting point for folks who have never done ribs that much.

As Brian said, many of us adjust that.

Baby backs are often done with 2-2-1.

Whichever, those are only suggested guidelines.

Some do their ribs quite nicely without foil.

For spares, my 3-2-1 is more like 3-1.25-1.25.  and ever evolving.  Problem is?  I like them one way.  She likes them the other?

For the record?  She wins? 
wife.gif

Experiment and see what you like!  More important?  Be sure she likes it? 
wife.gif

Good luck and good smoking.

I love doing my spares without any foil. Takes about 5 hours around 225 (for me) and my only references for "doneness" is picking up the slab with some tongs and seeing how far the droop is and then seeing how much shrinkage there is on the bones.

I also like going simple with a "rub" just some cracked black pepper and garlic salt and then about an hour before them being done i'll put a thin coat of bbq sauce on em.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky