Lesson Learned Preheat that MES.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mtm408

Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Central Wisconsin
I'm fairly new to electric side of smoking.  I purchased an Gen. 1 MES 40 right around Christmas.  My inaugural smoke was some homemade Andouille sausage and it turned out great.  Last Friday I had the day off and decide it was time to try some ribs.  I'm use to using a kamado style grill and typically have done ribs with the basic 3-2-1 method.  I wanted to get the ribs in the MES by noon so they'd be ready by 6pm.  Temps here in Central WI were near 30 degrees and I had planned on warming up the MES for an hour prior to putting in the ribs.  Of course, I got a little side tracked and didn't get the MES going until about 11:30am.  By noon the temp wasn't as high as I would have liked.  I was looking for 225 but it was hoving around 180.  I put the ribs in anyway and after the first hour the temps was still below 190.  I ended up pulling them off and throwing them on my kamado and they were done by 7pm.  I guess if I"m going to be smoking at lower outside air temps I've got to plan on at least a full hour, perhaps two of preheating.  Lesson learned and I'll try again after we get out of this deep freeze.

Sorry, no pictures this time...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky