Leftover Rotisserie chicken goes Mexican

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Wanted to get out and fire the smoker up today but still feeling under the weather. Had to do something to pass the time and have seen a few posts on Mexican dishes lately that looked awesome. We love Mexican style foods and haven't whipped up any keto Mexican lately. I decided I would make a chicken burrito with some "refried" black soy beans on the side along with salad. I had to run out for a few ingredients but most things were either in the frig or pantry already. I have a ton of the black soy beans dry and since I had not soaked ahead decided to go with the Instant Pot.

2 cups dry black soybeans
1 medium onion diced
1 clove of garlic minced
2 small serrano peppers finely diced
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp Mexican oregano
2 bay leaves
4 cups chicken stock
3 cups water (not pictured)

I did not capture in progress pics. I just sauteed the onions , pepper and garlic in a little avocado oil until the onions were translucent. Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot and set on manual for 45 minutes. When it finishes let it naturally release for 25 minutes before going ahead and releasing the rest of the pressure. Remove the bay leaves , save a couple cups of the liquid and drain the rest. Add a little at a time back in as you hit them with an immersion blender until you get the consistency you want. I will say that at the end I added quite a bit more cumin and dark chili powder along with some salt. Tasted great then. Next time I will add much more spice up front. I will also fry some bacon with the onion mix next time.
bean ingredients.jpg

Next up time to get started on some filling for the burrito. Just went with what I could get my hands on. No special measuring here. A big onion diced, the leftover rotisserie chicken chopped up, some chipotle's in adobo, a diced green pepper and a diced poblano. Lastly minced up some cilantro. Spice wise some cumin, dark chili, SPOG.
ingredients burrito.jpg

First up cooking the onions and peppers
onions and peppers.jpg

Next adding in the chicken, chipotles and adobo (added about half what was in pic) and spices. As it started cooking I decided to add a little Herdez Salsa Verde.
simmering chicken mix.jpg

Almost to the finish line. Time to make my cheddar cheese burrito shell. I have posted before my method of making cheddar taco shells. This is the same but you don't hang them and wait for them to cool. Just spray the parchment paper, make a circular pile of cheddar and bake at 400F until the edges begin to brown. Rather than hanging over a dowel to cool like you would for a taco shell you work with it while its really hot and pliable. It can get a little tricky but is not too bad.
ready to roll.jpg

Time to serve it up now. Plated up with a salad of shredded lettuce, tomato, guacamole and sour cream along with the beans topped with queso fresco.

plated 2.jpg

Whelp thats another wrap! This was pretty tasty! I will keep working on the beans until I can really perfect one that I would call at 10. Thanks for looking.

Jeff That looks great I am doing Enchiladas with a rotisserie bird this week. Likes
I almost want to try that Cheese wrap.
Richie

Reactions: jcam222
That looks great.
You are bringing it! Mmmmm.....Mmmmm.
Jeff That looks great I am doing Enchiladas with a rotisserie bird this week. Likes
I almost want to try that Cheese wrap.
Richie
Jeff you hit another Keto recipe out of the park!!! Well done and it looks beautiful!

Like!
That’s a beautiful looking meal and presentation, Jeff! You make keto look spectacular. I actually just pulled out a CPB Skirt steak for fajitas on Thursday.

I would consider 138F to be “medium“ with Sous Vide. I do all my beef between 130-135F with 135 being medium rare for my personal taste.

When I SV thinner cuts, I tend to stick closer to 130 because the post sear will cook the center a little bit. You can place the meat in the freezer for a few minutes before searing to get a good sear without cooking the center, but that defeats the purpose of SV for me. I want the meat ready to go when I get home. I like the convenience and not having to delay dinner any further.
Thanks for the kind words guys!! My wife has been using the chicken from this on salads all week and just raves about it. Asked me to make more soon.

Damn Jeff, that looks fantastic!! I really need to start paying closer attention to this section of the forum. I seem to miss a lot of stuff. Great job my friend.

LIKE!!
Robert

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky