Left Overs ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MarchHare

Original poster
Jul 13, 2021
Pork butt at .99 a pound. How could I resist.
Smoked my second pork butt in my Weber 18.5. Came out great thanks to help from you guys.
Gave us a lovely meal and I cut up several portions and froze for later.
So now what to I do with this humongous bone, and several bits of pieces of meat and fat.
Ideas and thoughts are greatly appreciated.
As well as any recipes. :emoji_grinning: :emoji_grinning:
Many thanks.

Reactions: bauchjw
Good morning, MarchHare.
To be honest I don't keep the bone or fat scraps. I normally shred the meat for pulled pork sandwiches and freeze the leftovers for use in beans, chili, etc. Sorry for not answering your question. I'm sure others will chime in with ideas. Great price on that pork by the way.

Reactions: 912smoker
I pitch the bone. If it slides out clean like it should it's not good for anything unless you have a dog. They love them.
I don't save the fat, either. The fat I trim is usually the slimy stuff. No good for sausage.

while dogs may love the pork bone, they are too soft for the dog. they will splinter and cause a lot of problems. I know plenty of people have been doing it since the olden times. Pork bones are soft and will hurt your dog. lemme get off my soap box now.

I was interested to hear if there was anything interesting to do with these. I normally give them to friends with dogs. I have saved some of the fat and scraps for broths, depending on the type.

Reactions: MarchHare
while dogs may love the pork bone, they are too soft for the dog. they will splinter and cause a lot of problems. I know plenty of people have been doing it since the olden times. Pork bones are soft and will hurt your dog. lemme get off my soap box now.
First time I've heard of that....

Ive never heard of that? Chicken bones definitely, but not pork. I'll check that out, definitely don't want to accidentally hurt a dog.

Reactions: SmokyMose
Wow,
According to the American Kennel Club it's bad: Can Dogs Eat Pork Bones? (akc.org)
I grew up with the dogs eating pork bones and always given them to my own dogs without a problem for over 40 years and never had an issue or been told its potentially one. Go figure, something new!

I was interested to hear if there was anything interesting to do with these. I normally give them to friends with dogs. I have saved some of the fat and scraps for broths, depending on the type.
Thought I might try a broth.
Hate to throw it out seeing as I paid so much for it. :emoji_wink:
Couple of carrots, celery....
Yeah. I'm cheap. :emoji_laughing:

Used to give my beagles pork bones all the time!. Didnt know they could splinter... Glad I never had any issues...

I'm thinking there has to be a way of cooking them to be safe if anyone is wanting to feed bones... I used to buy canned dog food that had whole chicken wings right in the can.. They would get meals like that for special occasions like chrismas dinner..... Screenshot_20220125-143045~2.png

But could be a different story for pork bones..

Last edited:
Wow,
According to the American Kennel Club it's bad: Can Dogs Eat Pork Bones? (akc.org)
I grew up with the dogs eating pork bones and always given them to my own dogs without a problem for over 40 years and never had an issue or been told its potentially one. Go figure, something new!
Yep, something else we've done all our lives turns out to be bad.
And every dog who reads this is going to be pissed...

Never give my dogs any bones, because of the splinters and what could happen. Not sure if any home remedy would save your pets life if one became lodged in throat or such. To many dogs just chomp and swallow instead of chewing things into bits.

Pork butt at .99 a pound. How could I resist.
Smoked my second pork butt in my Weber 18.5. Came out great thanks to help from you guys.
Gave us a lovely meal and I cut up several portions and froze for later.
So now what to I do with this humongous bone, and several bits of pieces of meat and fat.
Ideas and thoughts are greatly appreciated.
As well as any recipes. :emoji_grinning: :emoji_grinning:
Many thanks.
You can definitely use that bone in some beans or something along those lines. Will add a smokey flavor to whatever you simmer it in

You can definitely use that bone in some beans or something along those lines. Will add a smokey flavor to whatever you simmer it in
I’d be curious, would it really give that much? I’ve done lots of ham bones for split pea, but never one from a butt, I never thought there was enough collagen o marrow to add flavor?

I’d be curious, would it really give that much? I’ve done lots of ham bones for split pea, but never one from a butt, I never thought there was enough collagen o marrow to add flavor?
I'd don't think it would add much in the area of pork flavoring like a ham bone will. But it's still a smoked bone. Notice how the blade turns dark in areas? That's smoke. So there is definitely some flavor to be had

Reactions: bauchjw
Used to give my beagles pork bones all the time!. Didnt know they could splinter... Glad I never had any issues...

I'm thinking there has to be a way of cooking them to be safe if anyone is wanting to feed bones... I used to buy canned dog food that had whole chicken wings right in the can.. They would get meals like that for special occasions like chrismas dinner.....View attachment 523401

But could be a different story for pork bones..
Pretty sure these are pressure cooked so the bones are soft.

Reactions: Sowsage
No need to, I have never, nor would I ever give my dogs pork bones. I realize some people done it forever, well, they just got lucky.

This is true, I just smoked a pork butt and asked the neighbor if they wanted to bone for their dog. No way, and especially if it has been cooked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky