Learning the Weber 22.5" Kettle - Results

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
welcome to the SMF,

Hello Teddy, I have the same polder that you have and one thing I noticed is that it reads the meat well but i had a bad probe, so temp wouldn't read right when I left probe in the meat. Just tought I would let you know so in your quest to smoke, if you come up with weird results, check your probes.
Interesting, I wonder, It seemed to work fine for getting the cooker temp but in the meat it was way off. I figured I would put the probe in at the start to see the temps but it read 80 from the fridge. I thought maybe the probe was too long for a chicken leg so I just didn't use it for that.

As I text this, I am doing my first burn on my new weber 22.5 smoker. I wanna get the oils burned out of it. But I notice that the door for adding charcoal is leaking smoke and heat. It is flimsy metal, and the only flaw I am able to find so far. Any one else have thus issue?

As I text this, I am doing my first burn on my new weber 22.5 smoker. I wanna get the oils burned out of it. But I notice that the door for adding charcoal is leaking smoke and heat. It is flimsy metal, and the only flaw I am able to find so far. Any one else have thus issue?

Also, the temperature jumped to over 300. I'm gonna guess because I'm not using the water bowl. But any Intel would be greatly appreciated. I closed the bottom thee vents to extreme minimum to bring the temp down.

Fist and foremost, I want to apologize for double posting. I am using my "smart phone" and it really doesn't seem to be very intelligent. Please forgive my phone, and me.
This is an old thread about smoking on a kettle, it appears that you have a WSM. Try starting a thread and asking your question, you will get a better response. BTW I do not have a WSM so IDK the answer.

Great information thanks for sharing!

I have a 18" smoke vault that I still need to learn how to use. Cheese comes out great but my pork comes out with way to much smoke flavor.

My Weber 22.5 gold is the best grill ever enjoy grilling hot wings, burgers, and hotdogs.

Thank you all for the advise.

Dan

I have two old, old Kettles, an 18.5" with firebricks as a heat block and a 22.5" with the Smokenator.  They basically perform exactly the same and are both easy and great for smoking.  I don't use them for grilling at all.  I grill on gas.

I leave the bottom vents full open and control the grill surface temp with the top vent only.  Once I got the hang of it I can fire them up quickly using a Minion method.  I pile previously used briquettes in the center of my burn area behind the heat fence or in the Smokenator.  Then I put  new briquettes and wood on both sides behind the heat fence or in the Smokenator.  Then I dump 15 or so hot coals on the old briquettes and put the lid vent and chamber probe opposite the fire.  I can easily go 4-6 hours on one fill of Kingsford blue bag charcoal on a dry smoke.  The Competition stuff disappears in half the time.  I won't be buying it again.  After a few initial spikes the temp settles down and will stay relatively constant for an hour or more before needing a minor adjustment.

I have a new WSM sitting behind me in the box as I type, a gift from my wife for me for Christmas.  Can't hardly wait to get smoking with it.  I also want to try using the lid of the WSM on the Kettle to see if it will work.  If it does, I just might order a WSM replacement lids to use on the Kettles, giving myself more vertical room than the flatter Kettle lids offer. Suspect it will use more fuel though.  Time will tell.  Hurry up Santa!         

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky