Lazy Man's Supper: Flash Blasted Rib Eye (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Outstanding looking meal Robert. Thank you for posting your rub recipe. I never heard of using activated charcoal in a spice mixture to enhance the crispness and flavor profile. Your recipe and Chef JJ's comment above have sparked my interest in the Umami/char grill flavor mixture.🍻
John

Outstanding looking meal Robert. Thank you for posting your rub recipe. I never heard of using activated charcoal in a spice mixture to enhance the crispness and flavor profile. Your recipe and Chef JJ's comment above have sparked my interest in the Umami/char grill flavor mixture.🍻
John

I read that "Activated Charcoal" can affect the drugs you may be taking, including Prescriptions, and things like "Birth Control" Meds.
Just thought I'd mention that. I would research it, before I used much.

Bear

Good lord Robert, another one out of the park! Looks amazing!

Thanks Steve. The char on that steak did come out looking fantastic. I was really happy with it.

Perfecto on that steak. . . nice work !

I still stand by the benefits of having a good instant read thermometer. Takes the guess work out of things :emoji_wink:

Top notch meal there Robert, nice cook!

Thank you Justin!! The kind words are appreciated my friend.

Robert

Heck I might even have to put my shirt on to eat it. Heckofa nice steak Robert

Why put on a shirt? I didn't and probably won't until the temps drop into the low 60's, which won't be for a while :emoji_laughing: Thank you for the kind words.

The rub sounds wonderful Robert! For those of us who still can (or cheat) use salt, how much would you add to the recipe or would it be safer to just sprinkle the steak with salt first and let is sit for 45 min before adding the rub?

In all honesty I wouldn't add salt to the mix or even fry brine. I'd just add it after plating to the food as needed. If I were to put it in the recipe I'd start with about 2 t of kosher salt and go from there.

Looks Outstanding, Robert!!
Mouthwatering to say the least !!
Nice Job

Thank you Bear!! I truly appreciate the kind words sir.

Robert

Your post reminded me of that project

Great story Jimmy. Would love to see you revisit that project and see what you might come up with. If you wanna send me your recipe I'd like to play with it and see what I might be able to do with it. I've been having a lot of fun putting these spice mixes together :emoji_astonished:

Your recipe and Chef JJ's comment above have sparked my interest in the Umami/char grill flavor mixture

This site does have a way of inspiring people. I know the inspiration for everything I've done has come from here. Some good folks in this forum, that's for sure!! Keep us posted please if you decide to make a run with it.

I read that "Activated Charcoal" can affect the drugs you may be taking, including Prescriptions, and things like "Birth Control" Meds.
Just thought I'd mention that. I would research it, before I used much.

By no means am I disputing your commentary here, and it's always a good idea to follow up on things, but I'd think that if there were potential negative issues with the charcoal the manufacturers would be required to note them on the labels as a precaution. I know I'm gonna look into it just for the sake of reference. It may be a situation like when saccharin was used as a sweetener in sodas. Somebody decided that it could cause cancer but the caveat was that you had to drink like 700 sodas a day for 20 years, or some insane amount. If I find out anything potentially negative I'll post it up.

Robert

By no means am I disputing your commentary here, and it's always a good idea to follow up on things, but I'd think that if there were potential negative issues with the charcoal the manufacturers would be required to note them on the labels as a precaution. I know I'm gonna look into it just for the sake of reference. It may be a situation like when saccharin was used as a sweetener in sodas. Somebody decided that it could cause cancer but the caveat was that you had to drink like 700 sodas a day for 20 years, or some insane amount. If I find out anything potentially negative I'll post it up.

Robert

I agree Robert. I only posted it, because I had heard about it awhile ago, so I did a quick check, and since they are still talking about it, I figured I should post this & let those who are interested in using it do the research & decide for themselves.
Thanks for your reply.

Bear

Good looking plate....For something that was done on the spur of the moment. Of course, I havent seen anything from you that I would throw to the dogs.
Jim

Great story Jimmy. Would love to see you revisit that project and see what you might come up with. If you wanna send me your recipe I'd like to play with it and see what I might be able to do with it. I've been having a lot of fun putting these spice mixes together :emoji_astonished:

Bev will have to dig up the file. Remind me periodically. Both our memories are for S#!T...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky