Lazy Chicken Tinga Tostadas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I wanted to switch things up for Taco Tuesday last night but didn't feel like going all out either. Searched for a few chicken tinga recipes online but ended up taking the easy way out. These tostadas required few fresh ingredients but the flavor more than made up for it. Chicken Tinga is basically chicken in a spicy tomato/chipotle sauce. I sous vided the chicken instead of boiling it. For an even easier shortcut you could just buy a rotisserie chicken.

Here's how I made it.

3 chicken breast
1 large onion sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
1 14oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes
3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce along with a few spoonfuls of the sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1 package tostadas
Black bean dip
Seasonings for sauce: ancho, cumin, oregano, pinch of salt
Toppings: queso fresco, chopped cilantro, avocado, sour cream reduced to a drizzling consistency (or use Mexican crema if available)

Chicken breast were seasoned with Montreal Chicken Seasoning and placed in a SV bath for 1.5 hours at 150F
IMG_5673.jpg

While the chicken was in the SV bath, I went ahead and made the sauce. The sauce was one can of fire roasted tomatoes, 3 chipotle peppers with some adobo sauce, 1 clove of garlic, 1 cup of broth and seasoned with ancho, cumin, oregano (about 1tsp. each) and a pinch of salt. Blend until smooth. I just used an immersion blender in a gravy container.
IMG_5675.jpg

Once chicken is finished, shred and set aside.
IMG_5674.jpg

To start the rest of the recipe, sauté 1 large sliced onion in olive oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Add 2 cloves of chopped garlic and cook for another minute.
IMG_5676.jpg

Add sauce and let reduce slightly over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
IMG_5677.jpg

Next, throw in your chicken and stir to coat.
IMG_5678.jpg

Turn heat to low and allow sauce to reduce further about 10 minutes.
IMG_5679.jpg

After the chicken tinga mixture finished cooking, I warmed the tostadas in a 350F oven for 3 minutes and assembled them. Here's where you could use whatever you desire. Instead of spreading sour cream over the tostada, I used a delicious black bean dip. You could use mashed black beans or even refried beans if you want.
IMG_5685.jpg

The 3 step build showing what's on them. Black bean dip, chicken tinga and then topped with cilantro, queso fresco, avocado slices and drizzled sour cream.
IMG_5680.jpg

And the finished tostadas all ready to eat.
IMG_5684.jpg

These were pretty good and best of all, the wife liked them after she initially thought the chicken was too spicy. The avocado and sour cream toned them done enough for her. They may seem like a pain in the ass to make but everything can be prepped while the chicken is in the SV. Just wait to cut the avocado before serving, that way it doesn't go brown on you.

There's enough chicken leftover that we're having the same thing tonight. Any chicken after that is most likely tomorrow's breakfast with a fried egg over top.

Thanks for looking.

Joe

Yum! Yum!
Looking pretty good Joe.
Nice eats.

So all this time I've been making Chicken Tinga and didn't know it, almost exactly what my tacos were last week.
Just something I learned decades ago from my roomies wife, Rosalina.
Always thought it similar enough to chicken fajitas.

Holy smoke Joe!! Those look simply delicious!! That is a must-do for me now. No way can I not make those...but I'd need to sub turkey for the chicken. Man alive, they look so tasty, fresh, and vibrant they'd be a highlight on any dinner table. Excellent job my friend.

Robert

Those look awesome Joe! Nice change up for taco Tuesday. I always like how you show the build in steps so we can see all the goodies before they are covered up with other goodies. Nice work!

Looks great Joe! I'm going to try this.

Thanks Steve! You could get pretty much everything I used here since we both shop at Wegman's. The tostadas were from there too.

Yum! Yum!
Looking pretty good Joe.
Nice eats.

So all this time I've been making Chicken Tinga and didn't know it, almost exactly what my tacos were last week.
Just something I learned decades ago from my roomies wife, Rosalina.
Always thought it similar enough to chicken fajitas.

Thanks John! Some of the tinga recipes I saw called for boiling the chicken with some aromatics and then blending tomatoes, the onion in the broth and the broth itself to make it. I hope you don't mind, but I took the easy way out on these. They're not as involved as some of the tacos I've been known to post. But they did eat pretty good!

Boy howdy Joe, I'd go for a plate full of those tacos, looks delicious, Like! RAY

Thanks Ray! I ended up eating four of them, sure filled my plate and there's plenty left for today.

I could eat that all day! Big like

Thank you Disco!

View attachment 467539

Killed it Joe style man!

Thanks for the recipes going to try it out next time its time for tacos.

giphy.gif

Thanks John! You could use the chicken for burritos or just regular tacos if you want.

Holy smoke Joe!! Those look simply delicious!! That is a must-do for me now. No way can I not make those...but I'd need to sub turkey for the chicken. Man alive, they look so tasty, fresh, and vibrant they'd be a highlight on any dinner table. Excellent job my friend.

Robert

Thank you Robert! Shredded turkey would work, I bet pulled pork would work just as well. They're highly customizable for your tastes. I felt like doing the tostadas. That was a good decision because my wife said she liked them a lot more than she thought she would. Thanks again!

Those look awesome Joe! Nice change up for taco Tuesday. I always like how you show the build in steps so we can see all the goodies before they are covered up with other goodies. Nice work!

Thanks Travis! These were a little different in the way you eat them but pretty much the same ingredients in standard taco fare. I like doing the build progression pics so you could see what's all underneath, I wouldn't want to be called a liar if I said there was meat under the rest of the goodies. It's a good way to see the "guts" :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: Sowsage
Awesome!!!
Next time try taking a full bunch of cilantro stems and all and juice of 1 lime.
Toss them in a blender with some sour cream or crema and spin it for 20 to 30 seconds, the cilantro flavor is really in the stems and the lime adds a nice brightness to the mix.
(If you like cilantro you will love this, we use it on everything.)
I got the idea from my favorite Mexican joint in town and use it all the time now, also I will often add a few TBS of adobo and one chipotle pepper into the mix.
Yum good stuff.
Dan

Awesome!!!
Next time try taking a full bunch of cilantro stems and all and juice of 1 lime.
Toss them in a blender with some sour cream or crema and spin it for 20 to 30 seconds, the cilantro flavor is really in the stems and the lime adds a nice brightness to the mix.
(If you like cilantro you will love this, we use it on everything.)
I got the idea from my favorite Mexican joint in town and use it all the time now, also I will often add a few TBS of adobo and one chipotle pepper into the mix.
Yum good stuff.
Dan

Thanks Dan!, that sounds like a good idea to use up the rest of the stems. Sometimes, I mix up the sour cream, lime juice and chopped cilantro but never the stems.

When I cut cilantro, I cut where the leaves stop and then dice up any tender stems in the pile and pick out any tough, woody ones... I don't pull the individual leaves off...screw that!

Can I use the middle stems below the leaves for this?

Reactions: forktender
Nothing wrong with those. I have some leftover Rotisserie Chicken. The Mrs. wanted Chicken Salad but I'll have to run this by her...JJ

Loooks delicious Joe!
Al

Thanks Al!

Nothing wrong with those. I have some leftover Rotisserie Chicken. The Mrs. wanted Chicken Salad but I'll have to run this by her...JJ

Thanks JJ! Rotisserie chicken would be good for this...but it makes excellent chicken salad too. I’m kinda in the mood for that since you mentioned it. Especially with the warm weather we’re having.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky