Last Dights Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rwilli

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Central New Mexico
Due to a dying refrigerator I was forced cook today's brisket last night. The brisket was 12 pounds and much leaner than most briskets i have cooked and had been well trimmed. I injected with beef broth and used a basic salt and pepper rub.

In the middle of the cook (about 140 IT) I had a problem with the smoker maintaining temp--I originally thought it was because ambient dropped about 20 degrees last night, but after thinking about it, I may have had blocked auger since the machine jumped right back up to temp and maintained as soon as I stirred the pellets and primed the burn chamber---it just took me almost three hours to realize I had a problem-----so the meat sat at 140-145 IT for 3 hours---At that point I went ahead and wrapped it in foil and added some apple cider vinegar. I also reset the machine to 245 (probably a mistake), I pulled it off the smoker at 203 IT, Wrapped in towels and let rest for another two hours.

All in all, it turned out ok---perfect tenderness but a little dry for my liking---I think I will have some for dinner tonight, and save the rest for chile or pulled BBQ.

Note, I live at 6000 feet elevation, so things dry out a little more around here and boiling point is around 203---so cooking can be a little tricky sometimes.

Last nights ambient dropped from 60 to 40 degrees F during the cook

If you have any other ideas why the Yoder YS 640 failed to maintain temp for a little while, please feel free to offer up theories.

This was also the first time out with the Fireboard----I really liked using it.

Final Result:
Tenderness was very good,
Moistness ok to not so good
Nice Bark
Beautiful smoke ring
Taste was good, but not great.

upload_2018-11-3_8-30-56.jpeg

upload_2018-11-3_8-27-36.jpeg

Reactions: motolife313
looks like the brisket from smart and final, or wallmart? Not enough fat in it for sure. I think thats the problem more than anything.

Reactions: rwilli
In the 3 years I've been using the Yoder 640, that has never happened. I do have to clean out the ashes from the burn pot before startup. They tend to cover up the hot rod after turning off power from the cook, which sometimes prevents combustion on the next startup.

I think your theory on a stuck auger is probably correct. These machines usually run with flawlessly, with only minor temperature swings.

By the way, your brisket looks great. Looks like plenty of juices on plate from carving meat.

looks like the brisket from smart and final, or wallmart? Not enough fat in it for sure. I think thats the problem more than anything.
Actually, it came from the AFB Commissary which normally has very good meat---But I think you are correct, certainly not enough fat.
In the 3 years I've been using the Yoder 640, that has never happened. I do have to clean out the ashes from the burn pot before startup. They tend to cover up the hot rod after turning off power from the cook, which sometimes prevents combustion on the next startup.

I think your theory on a stuck auger is probably correct. These machines usually run with flawlessly, with only minor temperature swings.

By the way, your brisket looks great. Looks like plenty of juices on plate from carving meat.

Running flawlessly has been my experience up to this point---but I did change out the pellets before the cook so I might have created a bridge or somehow got the auger stuck.

oh ---and I find that injecting brisket makes it taste more like pot roast than Brisket --- IMHO
Normally, I would probably agree if I lived at 679 feet elevation. Unfortunately, at 6000 feet and 15 % humidity I will do about anything to try and keep the meat moist. But, I am always looking for injection recipes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky