large smoker question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BareBonesButcherBox

Original poster
Nov 26, 2021
Hello everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. I have some questions on a large build. Im working on a smoker that will be used for large batches of beef sticks, jerky and possible sausage. Cabinet size is 6ft wide, 6ft tall and 32 inches deep, cabinet is very well insulated. I want to mount this smoker inside of a trailer that will be parked alongside our butcher shop but will still be able to be mobile. Mounting and keeping it mobile is not a problem , my problem is the heat source. I need this to be electric elements, Im hoping for 110 v but understand 220 v is a better option. I can work with it either way. My biggest question is can I mount the elements on the sides and back of the cabinet instead of on the bottom? Im thinking 4 or 6 1000 watt elements controlled independently by PID. I am thinking this should give me a more even heat across the cabinet. Has anyone tried anything like this?

You want to Bbq or smoke? Reason I ask is that you only need 170* to smoke sausage sticks and such. It doesn’t take that much of a heat source with a insulated cabinet to get to 170*
What temp do you want to run?

You want to Bbq or smoke? Reason I ask is that you only need 170* to smoke sausage sticks and such. It doesn’t take that much of a heat source with a insulated cabinet to get to 170*
I am thinking my max temp is going to be 200, just trying myself alittle cushion

I am just looking for smoke, my max should be 200*

Otherwise, contact Tejas smokers in Texas if you want gas heat. They can tailor to your needs commercially.

Having elements across the back and sides is fine, and it prevents the elements from getting covered in fats and oils. For a cabinet of that size, heating to 200F, four 110V elements would probably work fine. Having them independently controlled is odd and this is not really how PID controllers work. If you were thinking, I'll have a separate controller and thermocouple for each element... that wont work because each would be independently heating and impacting the others. If the goal of independent element control is even temps from the bottom to the top of the cabinet, there are some options... but not sure what you're trying to achieve.

I'd go with one controller, one thermocouple. The single controller heats all elements in unison. You just need to make sure you have solid state relays rated at high enough current to handle max draw for all elements.

I've used custom written kiln software to control my kiln and my electric smoker... and modified to work with my stick burner too.

The kiln controller software uses a solid state relay that is on for X% of the duty cycle [which you set] based on PID parameters [you set]. My smoker stays within a degree or two of the set point through the cooking schedule. The cooking schedule is defined by you in a web interface. Temps can change over time and you can smoke for days if that is required.

To get more even control of temps from bottom to top, I see three possibilities:

First is to install one or more fans to move hot air around the inside of the cabinet. A logical layout would be fans pointing down from the top of the cabinet to push hot air downwards. The fan would not bring in outside air. The fan would run continuously. You would still have an exhaust at the top of the cabinet. A PID controller would handle this situation just fine. Fans inside the cabinet would have to be able to handle the top rated temp you plan to run [200F].

Second possibility is to install a fan at the bottom outside of the cabinet that draws outside air from inlets at the top of the cabinet. In this case, there would be no separate exhaust. In the kiln world, this is called a kiln-vent. I have one of these on my kiln. The cool air from the inlet at the top mixes with the hotest air at the top. You can have multiple inlets. You could also have a damper to control the flow of fresh air at inlets. A big part of smoking meat is the drying influence of fresh air, so using dampers is the most flexible. This works really well for mixing air in kilns, but you'd have to test it in your build. I use a single squirrel cage fan that runs continuously. PID controllers handle this second option just fine. The max temp for the fan could be much lower than the max temp you plan to run [200F], because you can mix hot air from the oven with ambient air before it hits the fan.

Third possibility is moving the exhaust from the top of the cabinet to lower down [maybe center]. This is often used in stick smokers to even out temps. Internal fans could be combined with this with likely good results.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky