Large quantities of ribs - to stack or not to stack

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

va_connoisseur

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
DC Metro - Northern Virginia
I am doing a rib event for the local cigar club. I have seen people "maximize" the space of their smokers by piling ribs two or three layers deep on the smoker.

Is this advisable? How does it effect cook time and taste?

PSA below:

If you're in the Northern VA area, join the Brothers of the Smoke (www.brothersofthesmoke.com) and Old Virginia Tobacco Company (www.ovtc.com) for their first annual Ribs and Sticks event at the Woodbridge, VA location. The event starts at 4pm with special guest Don Pepin Garcia.

I have stacked them with good results. I did stack them in the shape of a cross, this gave me more meat that was exposed to the smoke. This will work if you have enought room in your smoker to stack them in a cvross form.. It's a bit more work when/if you foil them, but in a pinch it'll work. If you foil, try putiing a few racks in a covered aluminum pan. It's all good my friend.

I do large amounts with rib racks but stacking I'd think you won't get the smoke you're use to and might take longer to cook. I've never tried it so thats only my opinion, but if Richoso1 has done it, It's all good my friend :)

I wouldn't think just stacking the ribs on top of each other would be a good way to go. I like to make sure there's space around each rib section. I've got a rack that I bought from PGO that allows for three horizontal layers of stuff to be smoked (couldn't find a pic to post). I've used this for ribs a couple of times and found it works well. A vertical rib rack gives me more capacity, though, although since I don't trim the ribs back to KC-style, they tend to lean into each other a little too much.

This sounds like a good time! I wish I was in Virginia! I am a huge Peppin Garcia fan. Smoke a "My father" for me..oh, and eat a couple ribs for me too.
icon_confused.gif

This sounds like a good time! I wish I was in Virginia! I am a huge Peppin Garcia fan. Smoke a "My father" for me..oh, and eat a couple ribs for me too.
icon_confused.gif
I am a big Pepin fan as well. The My Father line is exceptional. I'll be sure to burn on for ya.

I wouldn't think just stacking the ribs on top of each other would be a good way to go. I like to make sure there's space around each rib section. I've got a rack that I bought from PGO that allows for three horizontal layers of stuff to be smoked (couldn't find a pic to post). I've used this for ribs a couple of times and found it works well. A vertical rib rack gives me more capacity, though, although since I don't trim the ribs back to KC-style, they tend to lean into each other a little too much.
What is "PGO?"

icon_cool.gif

I'm with Dan on this one. If Rich says they will come out good I would take that one to the bank and stack away. He's that good.

I have stacked two layers deep on my Mes. 2 on 3 on each rack.

makes for ALOT more tending as you need to rotate  stacks and top to bottom when you fill it that much.

that smoke was 20 racks  and i couldn't foil w/ that many racks so i just cooked till done spritzing every hour after 2 hours.

came out good but not as good as the 3-2-1 ribs.

If you don't have racks then stacking is a very viable option. The nice thing about a stack is it is self basting, the down side you wont't get much bark. Just remember that you should rotate the stack once an hour, also use a tad more smoke than you normally would if you had them just flat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky