Large Chicken Drumsticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dawgball

Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Nashville, TN
Have been reading the forums for a week or so now. I am looking to have my first smoking event tomorrow. I look forward to learning a lot from all of you here.

I did a search on drumsticks and legs but to no avail.

I am looking at smoking about 8 lbs. of large chicken drumsticks, and I have been unable to find any cooking time recommendations.

Any help is appreciated, and I look forward to sharing (and learning, of course) more.

Another note on tomorrow's plan.

After reading the forum last night, I have put together the brine. I assume this is necessary for the drumsticks even thought it's not a whole chicken.

I have been making my own rub for a while, so I will also be using that as a dry rub after the brine. I excluded the salt in this batch (another tip picked up last night on these forums).

Anything that sticks out as odd here, please feel free to provide any advice.

I have no idea on times. The only way to know for sure is to check the temp with a probe thermo.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Dawgball, I would guess about 3 to 4 hours. Like meowey posted though your gonna wanna take there temp to be sure they're safe to eat.

Ooops, I guess these are already done. How did it go, any pics? How long did they take to cook? I was basing my time off of chicken thighs like I usually smoke.

Thanks, guys!

Used mesquite wood, and the drumsticks took about 2 1/2 hours. Brined them overnight. This was the first time I have brined anything, and they were great!

The best part about it is that I have my first one under the belt and many thoughts and notes on how to improve for the next time.

We had ribs and chicken a-plenty!!!!

Sorry no pics this time around.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky