Large Chicken Drumsticks

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by dawgball, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Have been reading the forums for a week or so now. I am looking to have my first smoking event tomorrow. I look forward to learning a lot from all of you here.

I did a search on drumsticks and legs but to no avail.

I am looking at smoking about 8 lbs. of large chicken drumsticks, and I have been unable to find any cooking time recommendations.

Any help is appreciated, and I look forward to sharing (and learning, of course) more.

2. Another note on tomorrow's plan.

After reading the forum last night, I have put together the brine. I assume this is necessary for the drumsticks even thought it's not a whole chicken.

I have been making my own rub for a while, so I will also be using that as a dry rub after the brine. I excluded the salt in this batch (another tip picked up last night on these forums).

Anything that sticks out as odd here, please feel free to provide any advice.

3. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have no idea on times. The only way to know for sure is to check the temp with a probe thermo.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

4. ultramag

ultramag SMF Events Planning Committee

Dawgball, I would guess about 3 to 4 hours. Like meowey posted though your gonna wanna take there temp to be sure they're safe to eat.

5. ultramag

ultramag SMF Events Planning Committee

Ooops, I guess these are already done. How did it go, any pics? How long did they take to cook? I was basing my time off of chicken thighs like I usually smoke.

6. Thanks, guys!

Used mesquite wood, and the drumsticks took about 2 1/2 hours. Brined them overnight. This was the first time I have brined anything, and they were great!

The best part about it is that I have my first one under the belt and many thoughts and notes on how to improve for the next time.

We had ribs and chicken a-plenty!!!!

Sorry no pics this time around.