Large beer butt chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bladebuilder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
So I picked up 15 chickens from a local Hutterite colony, expecting the typical 2.5-3 pound chicken. Last order we had a couple larger ones in the 3.5 pound range. I really like 'em they are free range, and not "pushed" to kill weight. These new ones, well they were a tad larger. The smallest was 6.25 pounds! 15 of them and a 20 pound turkey, eats up a pile of freezer space!

So brined over night, then dried and rubbed. used a lager , and added some rub spices in the beer. finally picked up a rack, and found this little cake form pan, that suits this purpose perfectly! Smoked for an hour, then upped the heat. Basted every 1/2 hour, stopping the skin from burning, but wow, did it turn out crispy! Pulled when temp hit 185* Flavor was great, crisp skin, nice moist white meat, and buttery soft juicy dark.

Sorry, didnt get pics of it carved.. Didnt last long. ;)

Nice looking bird , but let us know more details like -temp. Smoked at , and the temp. you kicked it up to , the spices you used in the Beer , and the type of

Smoker/Grill you used.

Just curious , have fun and . . .

I did a very simple salt/sugar brine. Just to accent flavor, and not infuse any spice flavor. In the rub I used salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme and sage. rubbed the bird with lemons, then the spices. In the beer can, about 2/3 full, I added about a Tbsp of the spices, and 2 tbsp lemon juice.

Smoked at 160 for an hour, then bumped to 280 for an hour, and 325 to finish. in the baste, I added lemon juice with the drippings from the bird.

Again.. Sorry if I'm in the wrong spot for questions.. My first time to join a forum.. Have a new wrangler and looking for tips on controlling the temp and what size logs I should be using and good spot to get accurate temp Reading. Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky