Lang owners, what should I know?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice! She's a bute! What kind of brush are you using. Softer bristle like you would use for shower cleaning purposes? The first time she's fired should I spray the entire thing with Pam before it heats up or still wait until it hits 325? Obviously after that first fire I'll hit it with Pam after it heats like you mentioned but I don't want to damage the paint by getting the first fire wrong. Thanks!!
The paint is going to bubble up on the firebox top and front edges after you bring it up to temp. you will be running a hot fire, and Pam isn't going to keep the paint from peeling or flaking, it will help keep the exposed metal from rusting. also spray pam on the fire box door handle, hinges and damper pin wheels. my door handle gets tough to turn if I don't keep it lubed.

Reason I spray after I finished cooking is cause when I sprayed at the begging of the cook, well I kept cooking, 5-8 hrs as I am not sure the hot fire burned off any of the oil during that time. when the cook was done the firebox is still hotter then what ever temp I was running in the chamber, so I spray it down then so it seasons the metal as it cools and hope for longer oil protection. I tend to spray my cast iron pans down after they are used opposed to before too. just me.

Had my Lang 48 patio delivered last fall. They are simply amazing. You're getting great advice, but experience is priceless. Keep her oiled. That seems to be the most important bit of advice to remember. Bought a custom cover from Covers and All that isn't very custom but it does it's job. Rumor has it Lang is making custom covers for the 36 and 48 and should be available this spring. Had mine delivered to Illinois for $600 on a flatbed with a ramp and wench. The driver was able to do it by himself. Driver stuck around for 30 minutes going over the basics. Very helpful. I dont plan on doing any mods. She seems to perform and holds temps very well. I am thinking about using a small water pan that Al uses. Congrats and good luck. Keep us posted.

Attachments

• 20181018_055649.jpg
    20181018_055649.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 15519929036124593041837647096236.jpg
    15519929036124593041837647096236.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 39
Thanks to everyone for the amazing advice. I hope others will find this post useful in the future! Im waiting on the wife to say go so I can order it. I'm just going to have it shipped. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long because it's in stock but I'm sure I'll have to wait until they can package it with other deliveries in my general area .

Well the frustration with Lang customer service is real. So I ordered last Wednesday. I was told that a shipment was going out "first of next week". I considered that to be a pretty quick turn around so I was happy about it. Now to me "first of next week" means Monday. So I hadn't heard from them mid day Monday so I call. I was then told they had to look into it and that Ben was at lunch so they would "call me back in a few" when they had an answer. They never called back. So I call yesterday and speak to Ben(he just happened to answer the phone). He goes and asks around then comes back and says "I would imagine in the next 24 hours you should get a call from us about when it will ship". Well here we are 24 hours later and still no word. I am going to have to leave work to be there when it arrives and as a teacher it is not that simple to do. Some decent communication would be nice here so I can make arrangements. Sorry for the rant.

I was told 4 weeks and it took 5. So if you get yours in 2 weeks I'd be ok with that. I understand the frustration with "ballpark" estimates but once you fire that thing up all, all will be forgotten. Good luck.

I was told 4 weeks and it took 5. So if you get yours in 2 weeks I'd be ok with that. I understand the frustration with "ballpark" estimates but once you fire that thing up all, all will be forgotten. Good luck.

Thanks! I know. Staying true to your word goes a long way when it comes to business and no one likes to be jerked around. If you say you are going to call me back, then damn it, call me back.

smoker 1.jpg
smoker 2.jpg
smoker 3.jpg

She's here! Her name is Althea. Seasoned her up on Saturday and will be throwing some ribs and chicken on this weekend. Delivery guy and his wife were super nice. Chatted it up for about a half hour. He even gave me a can of high heat paint they use for touch ups. I'll post the first cook this weekend!

Hey, I didn't get the paint!!!
Keep that firebox oiled. Congrats. Welcome to the club. Lang all the way! You're going to love her!

View attachment 392698 View attachment 392699 View attachment 392700

She's here! Her name is Althea. Seasoned her up on Saturday and will be throwing some ribs and chicken on this weekend. Delivery guy and his wife were super nice. Chatted it up for about a half hour. He even gave me a can of high heat paint they use for touch ups. I'll post the first cook this weekend!
Congratulations. Looks great. do you have your smoke stack choked off on purpose? did you look to see if they put the damper inside the tube? the put the handle on mine but no flap to close it

Congratulations. Looks great. do you have your smoke stack choked off on purpose? did you look to see if they put the damper inside the tube? the put the handle on mine but no flap to close it

Thanks!! Flap is in there. I was playing with the flow a little bit. I plan to cook with it wide open though.

Hey, I didn't get the paint!!!
Keep that firebox oiled. Congrats. Welcome to the club. Lang all the way! You're going to love her!

Thanks! glad to be here! O, she'll be oily. Pam spray makes it look less than aesthetically pleasing so was planning to brush light coats of oil on instead.

edit: I can't remember the name of the paint but I will look when I get home. He said its the same paint they use to paint all of their cookers. Spray blends perfectly.

Last edited:
Here's the paint from Lang if anyone was wondering.
paint.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky