Labor Day 2021

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Laborday Throwdown?

• Yes

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I see these comments about not doing well with presentation but for a little FYI when I judge a throwdown I do look at presentation but maybe a little more important to me is creativity and I know some of the past judges have felt the same. Like did somebody think outside the box a little and come up with something new or a different twist on something

Hi gang! I threw in a "maybe" because I'd like to participate but we'll have to see how I progress on a couple of other items. I haven't cooked in MONTHS! I've been away at work so long my Yoder won't even look at me when I walk by it. I'm gonna throw some baby back ribs in her tomorrow just to get the old cooker a quick spin. I'll be keeping any eye on this thread......... Maybe I'll just take a pic of something Robert cooked and photoshop the code word into it :emoji_laughing:

This looks like it's gaining momentum, but just so I'm on the same page....
  • There will be a 'theme' for the TD, and a couple of weeks to cook your entry, and entries (or the main component of the theme) are smoked.
  • The 'code word' must manually appear in the entry photo.
  • A single entry photo is sent via PM to the TD Coordinator along with a brief description of the food.
  • The entry photos will be numbered and posted without forum nicknames in a Voting Thread.
  • After voting is over, entrants should post a follow up thread identifying themselves and showing how they prepped and cooked their entry.
A couple of questions:

1. Does 'smoker' mean any smoker (electric, propane, charcoal, wood, pellet tube, sawdust tray)? Is a grill acceptable as long as some flavor wood is used?

2. Does the entry photo have to be a plate shot, or can it be a pit shot, a table setting shot or cutting board shot as long as the 'theme' is satisified?

Yes, Per those Rules... Any type of Smoker is fine, even Char Grill or Gas Grill as long as there is some Smoke Generation other than burning drippings.

This one Brian, bmudd14474 bmudd14474 will have to handle as it is usually a single plated portion but, depending on theme and Rule Updates, this may change...JJ

Yes, Per those Rules... Any type of Smoker is fine, even Char Grill or Gas Grill as long as there is some Smoke Generation other than burning drippings.

This one Brian, bmudd14474 bmudd14474 will have to handle as it is usually a single plated portion but, depending on theme and Rule Updates, this may change...JJ
Okay, thanks. Just thinking of options other than a plated photo.

chef jimmyj chef jimmyj and bmudd14474 bmudd14474 the TRI-TIP posting this afternoon shows exactly what I was talking about with my question about entry photos. browneyesvictim browneyesvictim has some nice pit shots, a platter shot, cutting board shots, and two plated shots.
You get only 1 plated photo to enter along with your description. That's it.
That's how it's been anyway.
However, with that said, there have been past entries that were not on a plate that weren't disqualified either.

This will be a theme cook? Not a free for all whatever you want to cook?
Thanks

I am assuming the theme is Labor Day. What do most people cook on Labor Day? It's different for everyone I bet. I mean alot of us cook the same thing on Labor Day bit you know what I mean I think. But maybe it will have to include several ingredients as a theme.

I'll willing to give it a go. One question single entry or are you allowed multiple entires?

Chris

chef jimmyj chef jimmyj and bmudd14474 bmudd14474 the TRI-TIP posting this afternoon shows exactly what I was talking about with my question about entry photos. browneyesvictim browneyesvictim has some nice pit shots, a platter shot, cutting board shots, and two plated shots.

One of the Plated Shots would be submitted. More Bang for Your Buck. The description would include, Meat and Sides rather than a Hunk o' Meat on a cutting board. Even if the Tri-Tip is perfection, it would nit get votes up against colorful, pretty Plates with meat and creative sides.

This will be a theme cook? Not a free for all whatever you want to cook?
Thanks

A Themed Cook. Ex. Superbowl Party Finger Food. MARDI GRAS, etc. They were both good ones! Lots of creative stuff.

I'll willing to give it a go. One question single entry or are you allowed multiple entires?

Chris

One Entry per member. Some will make and photograph 3 different cooks, then submit the best looking and most creative one. Don't Forget to display the Code Word so you are out.

Guys, go to the Throwdown Forum and see what was done in the past...JJ

OK so it looks like we have the interest in doing it. Ill come up with a theme and get it posted soon so you folks have plenty of time to get going.

I see questions about pictures. Take lots of pictures and after the voting make a thread with your ingredients, methods, thoughts and what you might change next time

Ive had a long break from here due to other things in life.... Just getting back into the swing of things. Ive never done a throw down and i think it would be a blast!

Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky