Kosher Style Beef Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good afternoon! I've been making this for a couple of years now but I don't think I've posted about it. It's best on the grill so I only make it spring and summer.
It came from Rytek Kutas's book book.jpg recipe.jpg ingredients.jpg
I used 1/2tbls of salt substitute instead of 2-1/2tbls of regular salt and added 1tsp of Accent and 1tsp of #1 cure.

I just used ground 80/20 Chuck and re-ground through a 1/8" plate.
ground.jpg

Mixed and let rest in the fridge overnight. bowl.jpg

After mixing up again it was time to stuff. I know it called for 22mm to 26mm but I use 34/35mm for just about everything and I have them.
mix.jpg stuffed.jpg
Here's where I mention that I don't know why Rytek uses so much water. I forgot that I use 1/2 cup instead of 1 cup. I probably sopped up 1/4 cup from the counter while stuffing
and the links are really wet. Too wet. I let them hang on the patio for a couple of hours then refrigerated.
hanging.jpg fridged.jpg Already coloring up nicely.
They could have dried in the fridge longer but it was a nice day so I grabbed 3 to cook. I used my new cooker and had a pan of vegetables to go with.
I let them get away from me a little and they got past 165F, but they were still juicy with all that water. One sprung a leak and sent a geyser a foot in the air!
done pan.jpg oops.jpg
The Mrs. wanted hers cut up. I wanted a sandwich...
cut up.jpg plate.jpg Sorry about the dark plate pic but my food was getting cold LOL!
This morning I vac-sealed the rest.
sealed.jpg
They shrunk up quite a bit after drying and cooking but they're still tasty.
The Nutmeg was strong while mixing and stuffing but mellowed out to just a hint after drying and cooking and the Accent and cure added a bit of "tang".
Usually I don't pay much attention to liquid amounts in recipes and just go with my gut feelings about the consistency. I won't forget next time. Always learning!
It remains our favorite grilling sausage.

Thanks for looking and stuff on!
Dan

There are a number of typo's in the Kutas book. The salt in this recipe is way out of whack right? Looking at the 10# formulation and 5 tablespoons of salt would be 75 grams of salt - or 18.75% salt. I'm wondering if the salt amount should have been 5 teaspoons, which would have been 6.25% salt?

Reactions: boykjo
There are a number of typo's in the Kutas book. The salt in this recipe is way out of whack right? Looking at the 10# formulation and 5 tablespoons of salt would be 75 grams of salt - or 18.75% salt. I'm wondering if the salt amount should have been 5 teaspoons, which would have been 6.25% salt?
I think you may be right about the typos. Last year I tried his Irish Sausage and for 10 lbs he called for 10 cups of bread crumbs. Of course I did a 5 lb batch using 5 cups of crumbs. Maybe that's authentic but I think it was way too much bread. It's an interesting book but I doubt I use it again for recipes.
I recently found out about www.meatsandsausages.com. It's a very informative site with tons of recipes. Already considering "Chaurice".

I think you may be right about the typos. Last year I tried his Irish Sausage and for 10 lbs he called for 10 cups of bread crumbs. Of course I did a 5 lb batch using 5 cups of crumbs. Maybe that's authentic but I think it was way too much bread. It's an interesting book but I doubt I use it again for recipes.
I recently found out about www.meatsandsausages.com. It's a very informative site with tons of recipes. Already considering "Chaurice".
Well, the Kutas book is one of the "bibles" that most home curing folks have on their shelf. I'm actually on my second copy because the binding is horrible, but overall the content is good. Especially the color photo's of sausage making. I got into the habit of proofreading sausage and curing recipes years ago after seeing so many slipshod recipes showing up online and how some authors are heavy handed with salt and Cure #1. Another thing I look out for in older recipes is the use of fatback or fatty trim.

On the salt issue on the beef sausage, in addition to the percentages I worked up, check out page 168, there is an "extreme importance note" that says all salt measurements used in the book is granular salt, like pickling salt. A lot of sausage recipes use Kosher salt,

I don't know if the Irish recipe contains typos, but the first time I made it I reduced the bread crumbs to 4 cups and only used 4 eggs. A friend who also makes it arrived at the same conclusion. I also reduce the amount of potatoes in the Swedish Potato sausage. At one point in time fillers were very common in sausage, so I can understand their use.... and the Kutas book was first published in the early 80's with some dated recipes.

Meat and Sausages is a great site, and the Marsinski brothers have several books. The sausage recipe book has 575 recipes.

Reactions: SmokyMose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky