Korean Spicy Pork Bites

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
A while back there was a thread someone recommended watching “Korean Pork Belly Rhapsody” on Netflix. Really cool Docu-series. I’ve never tried Korean BBQ and the Documentary made me decide to give it a try. Don’t ask me why I decided to give it a go for my Super Bowl party contribution, felt kind of un-American! But it was a big hit!

10 pound butt, I cut in half, 5 pnd for pulled pork, the other for the pork bites.
Pork bite half cut into long strips:
881B4087-54C0-475C-B0FF-A2DA04BB15ED.jpeg

E216AF0C-9848-4780-ACDF-CFF8BE137802.jpeg

Marinade for 6 hours and I doubled the recipe;
  • ½ red onion, sliced into thin strips
  • 3 stalks green onion, sliced into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
  • ¼ cup korean red chili paste, gochujang
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • ¼ cup soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons rice wine
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • sesame seed, green onion to garnish
FEFD0B28-ED64-4F6A-B100-F583BD38BFB1.jpeg

Stuck them on skewers then onto apple pellet smoker at 250 to join the other half of butt.
738C7250-2D11-4E8A-A1B1-8124B62C05A3.jpeg
9E1F539C-8DD9-49E0-9FBF-7689ABA9D4DF.jpeg

The butt got done shortly after I put the bites on wrapped to rest, the shredded right before the party:
FDB82721-A3E2-4AF9-B096-007BE73CC4D4.jpeg

And the bites were at about 185-90 IT when I pulled them off. I didn’t want them fall apart, still needed some resistance to a bite,
491F3795-5527-4582-A9CF-3554829F3451.jpeg
311A89D0-28E5-40DC-B7D3-B1D51C3092D8.jpeg

Garnished with sesame seeds and green onion! They were delicious with a nice spicy flavor! Really good with IPA, and they didn’t make it much past kick off!

Fun new flavor and “thing“ to try!

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Jed, thank you for sharing that cook. I would totally tear 'em up.
Thank you! I appreciate the like and your always welcome to swing by for some!

Not un-american AT ALL! Those look amazing and well executed sir. I'd eat a plate full of those any day. Well done
Thank you! I appreciate it!

The bites look delicious. I am a big fan of Korean BBQ. If you're digging the K BBQ, you need to get some gochugaru too. It amps up anything that calls for red pepper flakes. Smoky heat.
Thank you! I really liked the gochujang paste, I'm guessing gochugaru is a different pepper? I'll definitely look it up. I like a little heat, not too much to overwhelm. That'd be a fun one to add into the spice rack!

Those look great Jed, that will be tried here at some point. Love a lot of Asian flavor
David
Thank you David! I haven't done too much Asian, hardly ever outside of attempts at a Wok. It was fun to pull out a different flavor from the smoker.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
KATIE BAR THE DOOR!! That looks nothing short of amazing Jed. Beautiful cook and a first rate presentation along with a detailed recipe. Couldn't ask for much more than that :emoji_wink: Very well done sir!!

Robert

Reactions: bauchjw
X2 ! Wow Jed everything looks amazing!
Doesn't matter what the outcome of the game was with that spread! Your guests were all winners !
And bookmarked for sure !

Keith

BJW, Very nice smoked goodies !
Thank you Crazy! I appreciate it!

Oh man those skewers look bomb! I would tear those up! Well done
Haha, thank you for the return visit and the like!

KATIE BAR THE DOOR!! That looks nothing short of amazing Jed. Beautiful cook and a first rate presentation along with a detailed recipe. Couldn't ask for much more than that :emoji_wink: Very well done sir!!
Robert
Thank you Robert! It was fun and happy to share! I wish I could say it was my recipe, but hopefully will save some searching!

X2 ! Wow Jed everything looks amazing!
Doesn't matter what the outcome of the game was with that spread! Your guests were all winners !
And bookmarked for sure !
Keith
Thank you Keith! That is very cool of you to say! I appreciate your time and like!

Look amazing! I love Korean flavors. I made Korean Flanken Ribs yesterday. So full of flavor.
Thank you Brian! Yes, they are full of flavor, I’d like to try those ribs sometime too!

Those look so good I think I would even eat them raw off the skewer if no one was looking.
Haha! I think that was in the Pork Belly rhapsody show. Korean villagers having pork sushi! Come by anytime and I’ll cook some for you!

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Looks amazing and that last pic is MONEY!! I love Korean bbq flavors for sure.
The bites look delicious. I am a big fan of Korean BBQ. If you're digging the K BBQ, you need to get some gochugaru too. It amps up anything that calls for red pepper flakes. Smoky heat.
That is a staple in my overflowing spice cupboard now. Learned of it when I did my kimchi awhile back.

Well as unamerican as sports are now a days. I find it's like stabbing myself in the eyes watching this unamerican commie trash they call pro sports now. I do like PBR though lol. I see no issue regardless though. Too many people trying to tell us how to live our lives. I am just gonna do me everyone else can suck it lol
morons.jpg

Here is my recipe. Just did these couple days ago. I keep some chucks of fresh pineapple in freezer and grate a couple into marinades. It is the best tenderizer there is. Let marinade for 6 hours.

2 - 3 chucks pineapple
⅓ cup sherry wine
⅓ cup soy sauce
¼ cup rice vinegar
⅛ cup brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1.5" ginger grated
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon hot chile paste
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Attachments

• 20220213_163403.jpg
    20220213_163403.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 12
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky