knife safety

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

speed bump

Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
A picture is worth a thousand words- but some people need both. I've been farming, butchering and processing for better than 40 years. I made cheese and worked handling and cutting wheels of cheese.I also worked as an ER nurse for 20 years. My son worked in a restaurant as well.
In these contexts, I've run into knife injuries aplenty, and have become enough of a pest on the subject at home to deserve 'OSHA' as a middle name. The photo illustrates one of my pet peeves. I've approached the subject in various ways- and today I decided to go from another angle.
My son had the experience of knocking a concealed knife off the work table and having it go right through his work boot into his foot. I've had one concealed under the edge of a beef quarter get flipped off in a similar way. I escaped injury that time.
So after taking this photo this am, I went looking through my books for a vivid description I'd read once on the topic. Came close in Hasheider's butchering book. It came close but not quite there. I was hoping to glean some information here as to another persuasive source or personal story. I'm going to be doing a 'safety first' post in various areas and want to get my ducks in a row first. No one (including yours truly) needs to come bumbling down in the morning, bleary -eyed, to face this repeated hazard.

Attachments

• 20220310_091541.jpg
    20220310_091541.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 46
Worst cut I ever got was from washing a glass that shattered in my hand. Can hardly see it now but it caused permanent nerve damage. I had to call a friend to take me to the ER. I never would have made it driving myself. Good times... Good times... :emoji_laughing:

Will be checking back for your knife safety tips. You can never have too much information on how to do something in a safe manner.

JC :emoji_cat:

This also reminds me of a real close call story I had working construction.

I was inside a supply trailer and there was no stairs so it was climb in and jump out.

Someone decided that it was a good place to deposit a board with a nail sticking up out of it by the door. Well, I got done getting my supplies and jumped out of the trailer. I felt something scrape me between my toes. I looked down and there was a big rusty nail sticking through my boot right between my toes.

I really needed that luck as I wasn't in a situation where I could have afforded a visit tot he ER. Life, it never gets dull! :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: JLeonard
I've seen a lot of folks use a knife with the blade exiting the hand from the pinkie end. Maybe some find it acceptable in certain situations, but I was taught (even before Cub scouts) never use or carry a knife in that position. Never cut toward yourself. To me that is just asking for trouble. Yeah, that one is a pet peeve.

This also reminds me of a real close call story I had working construction.

I was inside a supply trailer and there was no stairs so it was climb in and jump out.

Someone decided that it was a good place to deposit a board with a nail sticking up out of it by the door. Well, I got done getting my supplies and jumped out of the trailer. I felt something scrape me between my toes. I looked down and there was a big rusty nail sticking through my boot right between my toes.

I really needed that luck as I wasn't in a situation where I could have afforded a visit tot he ER. Life, it never gets dull! :emoji_laughing:

I did the rusty nail in the foot thing when I was a kid. My grandma rushed out and rubbed lard on the nail so that I would not get an infection, I didn't. Explain that.
I look forward to your safety advice.

Reactions: JC in GB
I've seen a lot of folks use a knife with the blade exiting the hand from the pinkie end. Maybe some find it acceptable in certain situations, but I was taught (even before Cub scouts) never use or carry a knife in that position. Never cut toward yourself. To me that is just asking for trouble. Yeah, that one is a pet peeve.
Only time I ever do that is when boning out a cut. There are some boning cuts that are just easier to make holding the knife that way...

Never cut toward yourself.
My last finger cut a couple weeks ago was for just that reason. I know better, but I was de-ribbing a red bell pepper and listening to something on the TV. I looked down, saw a white rib that needed a quick cleanup. Cut toward myself when the knife tip caught and let go.

There's a very specific feeling you get as a razor sharp knife slices into skin. No pain, but intuitively you know it's deep. Yeah. I got that feeling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky