Kitchen Remodel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow, Chris_in_SoCal Chris_in_SoCal , that looks fantastic, congrats big time!
That is the project Pam and I have scheduled with our contractor for May 1st. It is crazy how similar our kitchens are. Trade places of the stove and sink and the layout is the same. We ordered the new cabinets and white fired clay farm sink last Saturday. We will be going with a white/light grey quartz counter top.
Again, congratulations to you and your wife for the beautiful new kitchen.

I look forward to seeing pictures of it.

Reactions: Colin1230
How many times you flip that piece around when making that inside 22 1/2 " miter ?
Lol , damn thing never looks right in the saw .

I have upper and lower trim on my wall cabinets painted black to match the dark counter top .
That would really set these off because his counters are black .
Just wait 'til the natural light darkens that cherry . Gonna really add to it also . Fantastic design on this space from the quality to the textures .
I guess you can't really tell from the pictures but the cabinets as well as the crown molding have black stripes that run through them that do happen to match the countertop.

kitchen_remodel_009.jpg

Chris, that looks great. We did ours in 2017 and it was quite a project. I actually removed a wall, had another one moved about 3', and closed up a doorway. The kitchen is our gathering area and I wanted as much room as I could for our "zoo", as I call them...
Very nice! What was the name of the granite? Looks a lot like mine.
Looks like mine, too. Mine around the wall are Black Pearl with a textured finish, not polished, with white cabinets top and bottom. Our island has a White Ice countertop that's polished on gray cabinets...

Very nice looks good and looks very practical. Better not have that pic with the sink up when my wife walks buy or she'll be after me to have one too

• Haha
Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
I guess you can't really tell from the pictures but the cabinets as well as the crown molding have black stripes that run through them that do happen to match the countertop.
That's a nice detail . I couldn't tell for sure if it was an accent or a shadow . Caught my attention though . Really brings it all together .
I closed in the top of mine with 5/8's plywood and ran 2 1/2 " BED molding painted black with a 5/8's stand to hide the plywood core .
Then made a piece for the bottom and painted it black as well . My counters are cheap and not as dark , but still adds something I think .

Your space was well thought out . I'm sure your enjoying it .
20230321_073712.jpg

Thanks for the likes and replies.

The countertop is real black granite with lots of gold sparkles.

The doors and drawers are all self closing.

The backsplash is stone. The stove is GAS, as it should be.

We are not fans of the modern look and we went with a country feel to match the rest of the house with touches of modern with the stainless. The oven hood also vents to the outside.

I also added LED lights to the pantry to make it easier to see what's in there.
View attachment 660738
Love the lighting although in my case it would highlight my disorganization

That's a nice detail . I couldn't tell for sure if it was an accent or a shadow . Caught my attention though . Really brings it all together .
I closed in the top of mine with 5/8's plywood and ran 2 1/2 " BED molding painted black with a 5/8's stand to hide the plywood core .
Then made a piece for the bottom and painted it black as well . My counters are cheap and not as dark , but still adds something I think .

Your space was well thought out . I'm sure your enjoying it .
View attachment 660921

That looks great. I like the way the contrast matches the appliances.

That looks great. I like the way the contrast matches the appliances.
Thanks . People think I'm nuts when I suggest the trim to match the counters and the hardware . I saw it on some jobs . Love yours as is , but a simple profile on the bottom would really balance it out I think .

She remarked that I should show the adjoining dining room to see how it goes with it. That room I did myself.
She was right . She should have also suggested you show the kitchen flooring .

Funny , because in the last picture of the original post I could see the partial wood on that exterior wall , and wondered what was going on .
Nice work in that room too . Nice comforting space . Looks great bud .

Thanks . People think I'm nuts when I suggest the trim to match the counters and the hardware . I saw it on some jobs . Love yours as is , but a simple profile on the bottom would really balance it out I think .

She was right . She should have also suggested you show the kitchen flooring .

Funny , because in the last picture of the original post I could see the partial wood on that exterior wall , and wondered what was going on .
Nice work in that room too . Nice comforting space . Looks great bud .
Ahh! The flooring. Tile to match the master br and living room.

kitchen_remodel_011.jpg

After 13 years of home ownership in SW CT, finally doing the kitchen remodel the house needed from day one. Knock out one wall, new cabinets, counters/sink/fixtures, floor and wiring updates, no water line/gas line/wiring moving. Appliances are relatively new and will be staying. 12X12-ish. Somewhat mid-end $$$ everything. We're getting $30K-$40K estimates. Seems high. Chime in peeps that know more than I, which is dealing with nightmare to angel landlords in NYC.
We just completed the same scenario you described and it was 35k so your estimates are right in the ball park.
Oh, we had pop corn ceiling removed and back with knockdown.

Yeah, ours was 30K not counting the appliances, RO water system or oven hood. they did install it all though.

Yeah, ours was 30K not counting the appliances, RO water system or oven hood. they did install it all though.
going through same now due to a leak, first quote just to put the kitchen back as was - $97K, to take a wall down and expand the kitchen into the dining room $147K..welcome to Long Island. In the end I think it will be $80K from someone else.

• Wow
Reactions: Brokenhandle
going through same now due to a leak, first quote just to put the kitchen back as was - $97K, to take a wall down and expand the kitchen into the dining room $147K..welcome to Long Island. In the end I think it will be $80K from someone else.
Get more quotes. That sounds real high. Luckily the guy we used had done a bunch of kitchens from word of mouth. With ours he earned a lot more jobs since. My wife is part of the nurses network. Word of mouth is like having the Jedi force with them. 👩‍⚕️👩‍⚕️

Zip codes drive the price for sure .
sad part insurance only wants to give me $31K for the whole rebuild but they are specing the contractor saves the tile back splash and reuse the granite?? Wife wants a whole new look.......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky