Key Lime Pie Addiction (With Pics & Recipe)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I'll preface this by stating that I am NOT a baker. If there's a dessert I made and it came out well, you can take it to the bank it was an easy process. I believe it was Joe ( xray xray ) who I saw post this in a thread first then another thread by John ( SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan ) showcased it again. If my memory is faulty, please forgive me :emoji_wink: A couple weeks ago I was fortunate enough to receive a couple bottles of real deal Key Lime juice, one each from two different forum members here. Immediately I set about making Key Lime pies and there is now a compulsion to keep one in the fridge at all times. I've made two pies each of the three times I made them, one for us and one for the new neighbors. First time I just went to our little grocery store looking for graham cracker crusts but they don't carry them so had to settle for regular crust. They came out great!! Second time Tracy got me a couple of graham cracker crusts when she went into town to pick up some stuff we can't get locally. Those were off the charts good but I did not take any pics. Made two more yesterday and remembered to document it.

Here is the lime juice I received
010.jpg

Zest two limes
005.jpg

Here is everything for the filling in a bowl...all four ingredients (recipe to follow) Please note that lime juice is not green
006.jpg

Mix everything really well and pour into the pie crusts. Then into the oven at 375 for 15 minutes to set the filling. Then they need to chill either in the fridge overnight or in the freezer for a couple hours.
007.jpg

While the pies are chilling I put about 12 oz of whipping cream in a bowl and whip it till billowy and fluffy. No disrespect intended but I'm just not a fan of Cool Whip. I'd much rather have real whipped cream
011.jpg

I'm never wanting to wait for these so it was deep freeze to chill quickly. Here they after coming out of the freezer. You can see a color difference in the filling
008.jpg

Liberally apply the whipped cream...lots and lots of it!! The more the better, then garnish with remaining lime zest
014.jpg

Dessert last night
017.jpg

I have not worked up the ambition to make my own crust so for the time being, I'll just stick to these. They are really good and effortless. The pie is out-of-this-world good!! First time I made it and was applying the whipped cream I thought how nice it would be to garnish with the leftover lime zest which was not in the recipe I got....but I'd already thrown it in the trash. That step adds a ton of freshness and tingle to the flavor. It's something I'd highly recommend doing if you make these. There is a ton of difference adding it that''s missing if it's not there. I'd had "Key Lime" pie before but never the real stuff and there's a huge difference. What I had was somebody's rendition without using the true Key Lime juice. Another thing I learned is that the stuff I've eaten had a glowing green filling and seemingly it was artificially enhanced to give the color and appearance of something that it really wasn't.

Recipe:
2) 14 oz. cans of sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup of lime juice
1/4 cup sour cream
2 t lime zest (I actually used about 1 T)

Mix all together and put into the pie crust. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Cool in fridge overnight or freezer for a coupe hours to firm the filling, apply whipped cream and garnish with lime zest.

That's it and this is some world class stuff!!

How did I find myself in the dessert forum??
Robert

Very nice!!!

Its hard to believe my mom's been gone 42yrs,She made the very best key lime pie from scratch.

Love me some Key Lime Pie! And I'm with ya on the homemade whipped cream. No substitutes.

Looks awesome Robert! and when you do decide to try a crust, just go with Biscoff Cookies and butter. It's outstanding and holds up great against the pie!

Here's the one I did:

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Very nice Robert. I've had that key lime juice before so you hit me right in the taste buds. Wife makes pretty good Graham cracker crust. I'm not a baker but they look pretty simple

Looks great Robert!

My very favorite dessert! I made one last week with one slice left in the fridge. I think i’m going to polish it off in a few minutes when I get home after seeing this.

View attachment 459042

Pies!

Pies look great Robert! Joe's recipe is top notch and me not being much of a baker either these things are easy and great!

I use 1/2c. Sour cream in mine. My wife is a great baker, she likes making cheesecakes especially. I’m not much of a baker either. Key lime pie and Straw shortcake is pretty much the end of the line for me.

I'm not a big dessert person but key lime pie is one of my favorites. I may just have to make some soon. Yours look awesome! And I like the idea of the lime zest on top! Nice work!

Looks great Robert!! I’ve had a container of that key lime juice in my frig since the last time TN posted pie. I gotta get on it!!

Dang that looks good! I was tellin the wife Sunday how much I liked key lime pie and how long it’s been since I’ve had one!

Not a dessert eater but key lime pie is at the top of my short dessert list. Looks awesome! Like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky