KettlePizza w/ Prograte

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
First time using this KettlePizza with the he Prograte , man it makes awesome pies. Perfect leoparding on the bottom and great top.
I made 5 pizzas using a a neopolitan crust from the Pizza Bible. Made a poolish for this dough which is necessary for the ultra high heat. Have some work to do on my stretching. Not sure where the dome of the Weber was, but I’d guess nort of 800 degrees. Used Pecan wood for the flame. These pies were awesome, very happy for first run with the kettle. Each one took 3-4 minutes I’d say. Used Pecan chunks.
23D33658-9160-4290-B10B-0C44B353B988.jpeg
9705444D-949C-439E-99EA-119DE1C4DF32.jpeg
BB89203C-3722-4C12-B008-92D5E628B66E.jpeg
A8E3177E-F124-497F-8278-34FC73E82B67.jpeg

I never made a poolish with my Neo pizzas, I do know it’s a ton of extra work though lol. Yours looks good, I appreciate a pizza that looks home made. Interesting cook time too, you made a hybrid of sorts. I bet it tasted fantastic.

The pizza look really good.
But from the lack of oven spring and color of your cornice/crust and going by your mentioned " 3-4 minutes" comment I would guess that your temps were closer to the 500-550 degree mark. I know for a fact that by using R.O. lump with 3-4 plum sized chunks of oak wood. My Kettle pizza cooker is 850*- 920* and if I left a pizza in for more than 3 minutes max that the dough would be 100% charcoal black.
My pizza's cook in less than 3 minutes at 850* and the dough is golden brown on top and spotted on the bottom using OO flour with zero sugar or malt added just for a reference.

The temp gauges on Webers run high in most cases and the only way to get an accurate deck temp is to use an Inferred thermometer that has been checked using boiling water.

I bought mine at Harbor Freight for $25 and had to return two of them that read either 40* high and low.
The one I use now reads 10* low which is easy enough to figure out the actual temp for me. LOL

Keep at it you're so,so close.
Best of luck.
Dan

+1 on the IR gun, but you have to pay attention there are many that max out at around 500f. Mine goes to 1050. It’s been invaluable for me when I make pizzas. imho I like the crust better on 5-6 minute bakes (NY style) but if you’re using 00 flour and can get your kettle up to 850-900f a 60-90 second neo bake can be superb.

Reactions: forktender
The pizza look really good.
But from the lack of oven spring and color of your cornice/crust and going by your mentioned " 3-4 minutes" comment I would guess that your temps were closer to the 500-550 degree mark. I know for a fact that by using R.O. lump with 3-4 plum sized chunks of oak wood. My Kettle pizza cooker is 850*- 920* and if I left a pizza in for more than 3 minutes max that the dough would be 100% charcoal black.
My pizza's cook in less than 3 minutes at 850* and the dough is golden brown on top and spotted on the bottom using OO flour with zero sugar or malt added just for a reference.

The temp gauges on Webers run high in most cases and the only way to get an accurate deck temp is to use an Inferred thermometer that has been checked using boiling water.

I bought mine at Harbor Freight for $25 and had to return two of them that read either 40* high and low.
The one I use now reads 10* low which is easy enough to figure out the actual temp for me. LOL

Keep at it you're so,so close.
Best of luck.
Dan
I hear ya, I have some mods to make, sure I can get it hotter cause with the cook time you’re right on the temps - but man it’s more fun cooking em like that. I lost my IR gun somehow - damn kids. I didn’t time them but 2-3 minutes is probably more where they were at, I’m confident the dome was running well higher than 500. The crust was cooked in 2 min I’d say turning it constantly, and then I domed them for the rest of the time and man that cheese just bubbled. We all agreed the flavor/texture was as good as any of the neo places in Chicago where we live, so I’ll probably continue with the poolish. Also the super thin sauce, basically San Marzano tomato’s run thru a strainer, is so light. You can eat one of these no problem and not feel like you just ate a pizza. Can’t wait to do next batch.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: forktender
I hear ya, I have some mods to make, sure I can get it hotter cause with the cook time you’re right on the temps - but man it’s more fun cooking em like that. I lost my IR gun somehow - damn kids. I didn’t time them but 2-3 minutes is probably more where they were at, I’m confident the dome was running well higher than 500. The crust was cooked in 2 min I’d say turning it constantly, and then I domed them for the rest of the time and man that cheese just bubbled. We all agreed the flavor/texture was as good as any of the neo places in Chicago where we live, so I’ll probably continue with the poolish. Also the super thin sauce, basically San Marzano tomato’s run thru a strainer, is so light. You can eat one of these no problem and not feel like you just ate a pizza. Can’t wait to do next batch. Any more lessons learned/tips let me know!

I never made a poolish with my Neo pizzas, I do know it’s a ton of extra work though lol. Yours looks good, I appreciate a pizza that looks home made. Interesting cook time too, you made a hybrid of sorts. I bet it tasted fantastic.
Thanks - give it a try. Honestly it’s 3 ingredients and takes 5 minutes. The timing around the 18 hr counter rest is the only pain IMO. But the smell it gives off screams neo crust.

I have a Kettle Pizza kit. The only complain I have is having to add fuel after every two pizzas. With the ProGrate, keeping the heat so close to the pizza, did you add any charcoal or wood for your five pizzas? What charcoal did you use? Thank you.

I have a Kettle Pizza kit. The only complain I have is having to add fuel after every two pizzas. With the ProGrate, keeping the heat so close to the pizza, did you add any charcoal or wood for your five pizzas? What charcoal did you use? Thank you.
I got 4 done before I needed more fuel. Make sure your wood tray is really blazing the whole time, that wood burns up so fast and that’s providing a lot of the heat. I set up charcoal baskets on the sides where the opening in the Prograte are. Drop 3-4 briquettes in each side everytime you take a pizza off (don’t suffocate it), any wood ash from the previous pizza in the wood tray I throw in the side trays as well. This method allowed me to get the crust done in 3 minutes or so and then dome the pizza for 30 seconds or so. Throw a few fresh coals in the side gaps and put some of the wood ash on top. Don’t know if this helps or not but that’s my method if it makes any sense and you can keep it hot enough for 4-5 pizzas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky