Kettle ribs, charro beans and plan B at the end.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Picked up an entire rack of ribs at Aldi...$2.10 or so a lb as opposed to over $5/lb for baby backs.
rib1.jpg
Had less people coming than I thought so I cut them down to St. Louis ribs pulled the membrane and vac packed the tips for another day.
rib2.jpg

All rubbed up with Oak Ridge BBQ Dominator rib and pork rub and onto the kettle with a snake of coals and cherry chunks. Thanks to Rich chopsaw chopsaw for some PM guidance today.
rib3.jpg

Wind kicked up a bunch and the kettle would not get above 225, still was able to lay down about 3 hours of good smoke with some good pull back . Plan "B" came into effect when my daughter (20) said "when is dinner I am starved". So fired up the oven to 400 with some broth under the ribs (on a rack) and covered for half hour or so to steam. Broiled the sauce for caramelization.

Also made the Charro black soy beans again, always a household favorite. On my plate I put the beans on top of yesterday's left over "spicy" coconut rice.

rib4.jpg

Nice smoke ring and Bite off the bone tender, even my daughter could not get enough. I should have made the entire rack with the tips, only have 4 bones for tomorrow.
plate.jpg

Man Cliff . I'd say you nailed it. Fantastic bud .
Thanks Rich, had to use the MES (Ok a knock off Smoke Hollow) to do the beans due to real estate issues. Need to try and steal something bigger. I am half tempted to buy the Rec tec 590 or 700 to get the 340 for for $399 so I can have one in both houses..lol

Reactions: chopsaw
I'd say heck yes to a plate of that! Was a great day for ribs for sure!

Reactions: clifish
If I was there you wouldnt have had any of that great looking ribs left. And those beans look great too.
Jim

Impressive Cliff!! Those ribs look great. Good pull back and gorgeous color. Nice call expediting dinner for your daughter. I bet you didn't lose and flavor doing it that way but managed to keep family happy.

Robert

Impressive Cliff!! Those ribs look great. Good pull back and gorgeous color. Nice call expediting dinner for your daughter. I bet you didn't lose and flavor doing it that way but managed to keep family happy.

Robert
Thanks Robert, no did not lose any flavor at all still had great Smoke flavor.

Those ribs look perfect to me Cliff. Heck of job.

Point for sure
Chris

...and yankee2bbq yankee2bbq would be proud of those hillbilly teeth you got on those ribs. It be like him looking and smiling in a mirror.

Chris

• Love
Perfect ribs, Cliff. I need that bean and coconut rice recipe, that'd be right up my wife's alley and mine, too...

Perfect ribs, Cliff. I need that bean and coconut rice recipe, that'd be right up my wife's alley and mine, too...
Thanks Charles, The beans were jcam222 jcam222 Charro beans and I just put that on top of the coconut rice I made the day before in Jerk chicken cook.

I loosely followed the below link but subbed in riced cauliflower I get at Costco. On the fly additions were the rice wine vinegar, turmeric, shredded coconut, corn and the SF sauce. Pretty much did it to taste at the end.

Jamaican rice and peas recipe |

JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE INGREDIENTS: 1 Cup/ 177g Dry red kidney beans, (peas), 2 Cups Long grain rice, 1 Cup Fresh coconut milk...

jamaicanfoodsandrecipes.com

It all looks fantastic!! I prefer spares to babybacks 100%. You nailed them. I plan on doing my cowboy beans tomorrow but I sure do love the charro too.

It all looks fantastic!! I prefer spares to babybacks 100%. You nailed them. I plan on doing my cowboy beans tomorrow but I sure do love the charro too.
yeah they were a full rack that I cut down to St. Louis style as we had less people. I might smoke up the rib tip cut off this weekend. Those beans of your's are a huge hit every time I make them....that reminds me I need another case of black soybeans.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky