Kettle Pizza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You are quite welcome John! I still type with two fingers and have to look at the keyboard when I do. I got my first smart phone 4-5 months ago after jumping into the pool with my flip phone in my pocket, huge mistake. I hate my smart phone, makes me realize how smart I'm not. RAY

You are quite welcome John! I still type with two fingers and have to look at the keyboard when I do. I got my first smart phone 4-5 months ago after jumping into the pool with my flip phone in my pocket, huge mistake. I hate my smart phone, makes me realize how smart I'm not. RAY

LOL!!!!!

My smart phone will always be smarter than me. I am not from the generation that technology comes easy. But I was a teacher for 35 years so I don't give up very easily. I have to admit though that I am getting better with it even though it didn't dawn on me to copy the menu line to include a previous post into a new one.

Well anyway, I'm still less stupid now than I previously was,

John

Reactions: GATOR240
Im thinking maybe take one of my old grates and using extra heavy duty foil to create an upper shield kinda like that SS one. Worth a shot.
It's not a shield, it's a heat sink..........so another pizza steel or stone would work better.
I use my cast iron griddle over the top of my pizza steel, it's held up by 2 fire bricks.
I only do this in the over, it's not needed at all on my kettle at 700* and above for Naples style pies.
The sweet spot for cooking my pies is 850* which takes a little practice before you get it dailed in.
Cooking things at 850-900* is a whole new level, it's like cooking on the surface of the sun compared to a 550* oven.

To me, anything over charcoal always adds flavor.
I always add 3-4 golf ball size chunks of post oak to the coals about 10 minutes before I launch my pies.
It gives you that wood fired pizza oven taste to the tomatoes' mozzarella, and the crust, it makes the pie in my opinion. Another thing that makes the pies is using sourdough starter instead of yeast, If I could express how much better the crust tastes when using sourdough starter instead of yeast, everyone would be doing it. That and at least a 48 hour cold fermentation is what turns really good pies into amazing pies. Even if you are using yeast 48 hour cold fermentation makes the dough taste SOOOO much better. Make your dough like usual then ball it, then into the refer in a covered bowl that is lightly oiled. After day one de-gas the dough IE: punch it down then reball it. Cover bowl with plastic wrap tightly again then on day two take out of refer at least 2 hours before forming your skins/ doughs.

Try it you won't be sorry.
Dan

Reactions: sawhorseray
I always add 3-4 golf ball size chunks of post oak to the coals about 10 minutes before I launch my pies. It gives you that wood fired pizza oven taste to the tomatoes' mozzarella, and the crust, it makes the pie in my opinion. Another thing that makes the pies is using sourdough starter instead of yeast, If I could express how much better the crust tastes when using sourdough starter instead of yeast, everyone would be doing it. That and at least a 48 hour cold fermentation is what turns really good pies into amazing pies. Even if you are using yeast 48 hour cold fermentation makes the dough taste SOOOO much better. Make your dough like usual then ball it, then into the refer in a covered bowl that is lightly oiled. After day one de-gas the dough IE: punch it down then reball it. Cover bowl with plastic wrap tightly again then on day two take out of refer at least 2 hours before forming your skins/ doughs. Try it you won't be sorry. Dan

That sounds like a great idea Dan, I'm going to try that out next time I make up a pizza dough, Like. RAY

Reactions: forktender
I always add 3-4 golf ball size chunks of post oak to the coals about 10 minutes before I launch my pies.
It gives you that wood fired pizza oven taste to the tomatoes' mozzarella, and the crust, it makes the pie in my opinion. Another thing that makes the pies is using sourdough starter instead of yeast, If I could express how much better the crust tastes when using sourdough starter instead of yeast, everyone would be doing it. That and at least a 48 hour cold fermentation is what turns really good pies into amazing pies. Even if you are using yeast 48 hour cold fermentation makes the dough taste SOOOO much better. Make your dough like usual then ball it, then into the refer in a covered bowl that is lightly oiled. After day one de-gas the dough IE: punch it down then reball it. Cover bowl with plastic wrap tightly again then on day two take out of refer at least 2 hours before forming your skins/ doughs.

Try it you won't be sorry.
Dan

I have sourdough starter and been wanting to try pizza with it. Guess now is the time. Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: forktender
I'll post my basic dough recipe when I get a chance...... so you can get an idea of how much to use.
My small batch of dough is 500gr. flour which makes 3- 14'' Naples style pizzas.

100%= 500gr flour, I use 350gr of made Tony Gemignani 00 flour made by Central Mills and 150gr. King Arthur bread flour. I use the Tony Gemignani 00 flour made by Central Mills because it already has malt added to it, which helps browning at 550% but can still be used at higher heats as well.
At oven temp the crust won't get super brown. I just turn on the broiler for a minute or two at the end of the cook to help brown it.
62%= 310gr of 105* tap water.
15%= 75gr of sourdough starter, (fed 3 hours before using.)
2%= 10gr olive oil.
3%= 15gr fine sea salt.

The percentages are bakers percentages, in case anybody is wondering.

For those of you using yeast use 2.5 gr.

I normally make 240 to 245gr dough balls, any remaining I divide and add to the other dough balls.

(This makes it about a 60% hydration dough.)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky