Kettle Drumsticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
With family still here from Pennsylvania, I decided to grill some chicken legs. Seasoned 5 lbs. with coarse salt and pepper...
20230425_135210[1].jpg

...and hung them...
20230425_135326[1].jpg

On the grill with some lump and a split of oak. Getting right...
20230425_173158[1].jpg

Made some Alabama white sauce. This is about half of a recipe that I found on the interweb...
  • ¾ cup mayonnaise
  • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
  • Dash of Worcestershire sauce
  • Dash of lemon juice
  • ½ tablespoon brown mustard
  • ½ tablespoon prepared horseradish
  • ½ tablespoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
  • ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Mix all ingredients together and leave in the refrigerator for an hour or so...
20230425_142217[1].jpg

Meanwhile, I had been thinking about the stuffed mushrooms that flatbroke flatbroke had posted HERE and since Aldis had portbellas on sale for 99¢/pack, I thought I'd try them. I bought 4 packs, trying to pick out the ones with the biggest mushrooms in them.
  • Portabella mushroom caps
  • 19 oz. pack of sweet Italian sausage links
  • ¼ cup Italian bread crumbs
  • Splash of lemon juice, maybe 1 T
  • 3 cloves of garlic minced
  • 8 oz. block of cream cheese
  • Shredded parmesan cheese
I removed the stems and wipe the mushrooms down with a paper towel. Browned the sausage and crumbled it. This was drained and mixed with the softened cream cheese, the bread crumbs, lemon juice, and garlic. I spooned the mixture on top of the caps and topped each with some of the parmesan cheese. Into the oven at 400℉ until the mushrooms get cooked and the cheese starts to brown, about 15 minutes or so...
20230425_153652[1].jpg

I had green beans with red potatoes, also. Time to eat...
20230425_181302[1].jpg

One of the good things about them coming to visit is they always bring us a few bags of these...
20230426_071923[1].jpg

These are fantastic and are not available anywhere near us. They are made in Chambersburg, Pa. and if you can find them, give them a try. They make several flavors, but the jalapeno is our favorite. These are not your typical cheese puffs...

Last edited:
Looks good Charles, I'm going to have to give that white sauce a whirl.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Looks good Charles, I'm going to have to give that white sauce a whirl.

Point for sure
Chris
Big Bob Gibson created the sauce in northern Alabama over 100 years ago and it's been extremely popular there ever since. It has a tangy heat flavor and the heat can be upped or reduced with the cayenne. Give it a try...

Reactions: gmc2003
Send your family my way....I'll cook for them if they bring a couple bags of those cheese puffs. Never had them but they sound mighty good.
And your meal.......Well that looks mighty darn good too!!!

Jim

Send your family my way....I'll cook for them if they bring a couple bags of those cheese puffs. Never had them but they sound mighty good.
And your meal.......Well that looks mighty darn good too!!!

Jim
Thanks a bunch, Jim. These cheese puff are a little more dense than the other more well known brands. If you ever see them, grab a bag or 2 to try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...

Reactions: JLeonard
I bet your family been extremely happy with your chow Charles. Very nice meal. I love that white sauce and going to have to do again soon. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for your comments, Brian. I try to take care of family when I can. I've only used the white sauce on chicken, but it's supposed to be good on most grilled or smoked meat, at least that's what Big Bob did...

Awesome cook I could pull my chair up to that mean.
What part of Pa is family from?

Warren
Warren, you'd be welcome anytime. They live in Greencastle which is south central Pa. just across the state line from Maryland...

Very nice meal Charles, I’d have hit a plate of that hard! Also, thanks for posting that recipe… I’d heard of that sauce but never tried it… that will be changing soon!

Nice cook on the chicken
Love the leg rack, I use mine often.

I am in the group of never trying the white sauce, thanks for the recipe

David
Thank you, David. The white sauce is really good. It took me awhile to try it, I couldn't get over the appearance and name, but I'm glad I did...

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks great Charles. Nice work. I will be giving that white sauce a try, thanks for the recipe.

Very nice meal Charles, I’d have hit a plate of that hard! Also, thanks for posting that recipe… I’d heard of that sauce but never tried it… that will be changing soon!
The first time I heard of Alabama white sauce, I wasn't too sure. The Duke's came out with it in their lineup of BBQ sauces and I tried it, not too bad. So I did some interwebbing to find out more about it and some recipes popped up, too. So I thought I could make something better than the bottled one...

Looks good Charles . I have a bottle of local white sauce in the fridge . Had some on my plate last night .

Edit : 2 days later . Push the Post reply button .

Looks good Charles . I have a bottle of local white sauce in the fridge . Had some on my plate last night .

Edit : 2 days later . Push the Post reply button .
Thanks, Rich. I have often come back to a thread only to find that I didn't post my reply...:emoji_laughing:

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky