Keto Crab Cakes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ladies and Gentleman...
7e5ebf66-a781-41ec-988b-c8ff6e7fd743_text.gif

Good to see your smiling face Joseph! The crab cakes look excellent. Thanks for posting the recipe. Hope to see more of you carousel worthy material posted in the near future!

Those look awesome!
I love crab cakes & keto or no keto, I love that recipe!
Bookmark for sure!
Al

Those look fantastic Joe!! I can speak from experience that the recipe he posted is outstanding!! It's what I used in the shrimp and catfish cakes I made last week and posted. This is real deal stuff!!

Robert

Thank you Robert for the kind words, you have me thinking hard about shrimp and possibly crawfish cakes.

Looks Great Joe!!!
The Bear Swiped your Recipe!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Thanks John! That recipe has been a go to for awhile. I hope you enjoy it if you try it. With the price of crab meat these days, it may be cheaper for me to drive and catch them myself!

I been on a bit of a crab cake kick lately and with my wife trying to go gluten-free I decided to take a tried and true crab cake recipe and make it gluten-free and also keto friendly. Below is a recipe for a Maryland style crab cake in it's simplest form, it's not mine just one I've held onto. I tried tons of different recipes but the one that I like the best is with the use of Ritz crackers. I've tried bread crumbs, panko, saltines, moistened bread but I favor the Ritz crackers. To make it GF and Keto, simply substitute crushed pork rinds for the cracker crumbs and omit the salt.

Maryland Crab Cakes (makes 6)

1lb.fresh lump crabmeat picked through for shells
1 Egg
2T Mayo
1/2c. Crushed Ritz crackers OR use crushed pork rinds
2t. Old Bay
1t. Dijon mustard
1/2t. Worcestershire sauce
1/4t. Tabasco sauce
1/4t. Lemon juice
1/4t. Salt (omit if using pork rinds)
A small amount of cracked black pepper
2T fresh chopped parsley

Mix egg and all your wet ingredients. Add pork rinds, Old Bay and parsley and mix well. GENTLY fold in crab meat. You wanna a loose mixture and be careful not to break up any lumps of meat. Gently shape into form and placed on a greased cookie sheet. After this, I throw my formed crab cakes into the refrigerator for at least an hour to help bind all the ingredients.

Broil on middle rack of oven until crab cakes are lightly golden on top. 12-15 minutes. I never fry mine and I don’t bother flipping them.

Using pork rinds here to grind into crumbs. The free bag was a snack for another day! :emoji_wink:
View attachment 506340
I make crab cakes a lot, but always have used bread crumbs or the Ritz crackers. Pork skins are an interesting twist that I'll try next time.

Those look amazing! I love all things seafood and those are some top-notch cakes!

Thank you! I love my seafood as well. These are nice because there’s minimal filler, not bready like some of them can be. Those are good too when they’re heavily breaded and fried but that’s something I want to eat between a bun and some remoulade sauce.

Ladies and Gentleman...
View attachment 506462

Good to see your smiling face Joseph! The crab cakes look excellent. Thanks for posting the recipe. Hope to see more of you carousel worthy material posted in the near future!

Thanks John, I’ll surface somewhere, eventually. Like a bad penny.

Those look awesome!
I love crab cakes & keto or no keto, I love that recipe!
Bookmark for sure!
Al

Thanks Al! Either way comes out pretty good but there’s something I just like with the ritz crackers, must be that buttery goodness!

I make crab cakes a lot, but always have used bread crumbs or the Ritz crackers. Pork skins are an interesting twist that I'll try next time.

They are pretty good with the crushed pork rinds. Just omit the salt when using them but they held together just fine without anymore additional ingredients, which is nice because a crab cake should be on the simpler side.

Joe these look great!! I’ll be giving this a go at some point for sure. We’ve used pork rinds a fair bit for breading stuff. A real crazy pork rind idea was breakfast cereal. Break up regular flavor rinds, toss in a mix of melted butter , artificial sweetener and cinnamon. In a bowl of almond milk it’s AWESOME.

Reactions: xray
Joe these look great!! I’ll be giving this a go at some point for sure. We’ve used pork rinds a fair bit for breading stuff. A real crazy pork rind idea was breakfast cereal. Break up regular flavor rinds, toss in a mix of melted butter , artificial sweetener and cinnamon. In a bowl of almond milk it’s AWESOME.

Thanks Jeff! I’m not a big cereal eater but I think I would want to try a bowl of that just out of curiosity, it’s definitely tempting!

The crab meat I got was $25/lb which is cringeworthy for me. One of the things that helps ease the pain is knowing that if we went out for a crab cake dinner, there would be no way it would cost us less than $25 for two people. I try to use that logic, but I just can't justify the price all the time.

I need to give shrimp cakes a go. I make tuna patties a lot from canned tuna, those are really good and cheap but they're entirely different.

My wife keeps saying that and she’s right but it still sucks when it was $15 a pound not long ago. I live in the coast and have access to catch my own but it’s a pain to pick out all that meat.

Reactions: xray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky