Keto Cabbage Roll soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Weather turned last weekend and soup made sense again. A friend had brought me a bowl of a similar soup and loving all things cabbage I knew I needed more. I perused a few online recipes and then merged a couple adjusting taste as per usual until I thought it was best.

Ingredients:
  • 6 lbs. 80/20 ground beef. 2 large heads cabbage
  • 2 onions diced
  • 1T minced garlic
  • 3 58 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
  • 5 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup minced jicama
  • 16 cups Minors beef broth (any is fine)
  • ¾ cup Brown Swerve (can sub brown sugar if not concerned with carbs)
  • ¾ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 4T Worcestershire Sauce
  • S&P to taste
    • Brown and chop up the ground beef. Set aside retaining a few T of the fat
    • Sauté the onions and garlic in the leftover beef fat. Saute all the cabbage to soften.
    • Add all other ingredients to a stock pot along with the ground beef , cabbage and onions. Simmer for an hour or more. Salt and pepper to taste. I also add a little MSG food crack. For the jicama you can sub in apple if you don’t mind the carbs.
You may want to downsize this :) Makes around 15 quarts. Between friends , family, the freezer and my belly that worked out for me lol. Here it is simmering away.
soup cooking.jpg

I also made a 10 lbs. batch of bratwurst patties using Polka Polka recipe for German Bratwurst. I made a few in the past and after trying his never looked back. Here is some served up goodies. Double decker bratwurst with Swiss cheese and a little of my homemade kraut on a savory French toast "bun" served with a bowl of the soup. Used Aunt Millie's Carb Smart for the French toast.
soup and sandwich.jpg

This meal really hit the spot!! The French toast really elevated the sandwich a notch too. Just mixed an egg with a little garlic and herb seasoning and minced parsley. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Wow! I’d say out of the park for sure and another to my list. You’ve never steered me wrong! Thank you Jeff, I’ll be doing this soon!!!

Reactions: jcam222
Great looking soup Jeff! I’m full just looking at those pictures. We had a cabbage style soup last week, as soon as the gas clears and a few open windows, I’ll be reloaded for some of that!

Wow! I’d say out of the park for sure and another to my list. You’ve never steered me wrong! Thank you Jeff, I’ll be doing this soon!!!
Thanks Jed. I was pleased with it. The bratwurst is awesome too. If you can’t find the recipe I reference I can send it to you.
Nice looking bowl Jeff! I wonder how many people you converted to keto without them knowing it!
Thanks, I can say I routinely feed folks who have no cares about carbs that love what I serve haha.
Man I love cabbage soup and yours looks great!
I’m all about cabbage!! Thanks!
That soup wouldn't last long around here, Jeff! Excellent!

That soup looks great . I need to try it .
Thanks Rich. If you try it let me know what you think. I think vinegar and either apple or jicama make it uniquely different than most I’ve had before.
Good looking soup Jeff.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris!
Great looking soup Jeff! I’m full just looking at those pictures. We had a cabbage style soup last week, as soon as the gas clears and a few open windows, I’ll be reloaded for some of that!
LOL I’m sure my dogs can attest to the fact it’s been an explosion zone here!!

Reactions: bauchjw
Man Jeff, that just looks amazing!! That is some seriously great looking soup. Being that the temps are well into the 80's though, not a good time. I'll sure as heck be looking to make this when it cools down though.

Robert

Not a lot of time to cook this weekend but with a blast of cold weather this came to mind, Rather than a new post I figured I’d just add to the original. I really loved this and missed it when the last batch was gone. This will always be my go to for cabbage soup as the broth is just phenomenal. At the end you can adjust sweetener and vinegar to get the perfect sweet tangy result. I also bumped up the Worcestershire by 1T. The local grocer cabbages were about softball sized so guessed on them and ended up likely using more cabbage this time. Ended up with 19 quarts. After neighbors / friends and my belly I’ll freeze quite a few quarts.
5374FAF1-3D8C-437D-8F7A-0C312FD391AF.jpeg

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Nice! Ill take quart of that! Sure sounds good with this chilly weather!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky