Kept it simple this Christmas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
Bought a really nice bone in Select grade rib roast on sale at the local Brookshire's and decided to make a couple of steaks out of this one. I couldn't believe the marbling being most of the select grade I see just don't have much if any in the eye.
tempImageHthPWR.png

So Christmas rolls around and I prep one of these for a nice dose of Hickory & Cherry smoke so off to the Yoder set on 200 for about 3 hours.

tempImagebm1iCy.png

Ok, here's were it gets fuzzy ... Right after setting this little 3" thick jewel in the smoker I opened the bottle of Eagle Rare and ... well ... after 3 hours of smoke the IT was just above 100 deg and I pulled it and moved to the screaming hot grill where I put a good sear on it. Finished out medium to medium rare and was really a very nice treat but it wasn't until the next day my beautiful bride asks if took any photos of the finished and carved steak and, well, I can tell you the steak was epic and the Eagle Rare was a very nice Christmas treat.

I plan to integrate a little of Bearcarver Bearcarver tips & tricks to the next one. My thick prime steak needs "X" marks in the fat!!!!!

Merry Christmas gang!

That is a great cut of meat. How did you manage to get a bottle of Eagle Rare. That's stuff disappears as quick as it hit the shelf. Been trying to get one for a while now.

Looks Great, Randy!!!
The first thing I noticed in that first Pic was all the Marbling---Doesn't look like a "Select".
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Yep sure does look good! Nothing beats good meat and good drinks!

Ryan

That is a great cut of meat. How did you manage to get a bottle of Eagle Rare. That's stuff disappears as quick as it hit the shelf. Been trying to get one for a while now.

Thanks everyone - Yeah Brian seems like anything from the Buffalo Trace distillery stays in short supply since it's become "trendy". I found 2 bottle of Eagle Rare at one of the local shops and it was around the typical retail price. Even though I briefly thought about getting both bottles I figured the fare thing would leave the other so someone else could enjoy the bourbon. I actually know a package store where I can get about anything but they double the retail on the hard to find products so I don't do business with them any longer. I don't mind people making money and a little mark up isn't an issue but when someone wants to charge $100 for a bourbon that has a suggested retail around $50? Count me out ...

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky