Kabanosy w/qview Finished Qview added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atcnick

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Longview, Texas
Cured some butt and fresh ham. Ground it up and stuffed it last night. About 13lbs. Going to smoke it today. Will have more qview to follow. Here's a quick cellphone pic I took of it hanging in the fridge last night to dry.

This was my first time using sheep casings, and contrary to what I've read, they were easier to handle and just as strong as hog casings. One problem I did run into was lots of airpockets as I was stuffing. I guess stuffing is just a skill that needs practice.

Nice going Nick. That's good to know about the casings. I'm just getting started in stuffing myself. What do you have the sausages hanging on? Is that just a regular fridge that you modified for the sausages?

Its a 1" wooden dowel rod that I bought from Home Depot and cut it to fit.   I used a mini fridge in a spare room and just took out the racks.

Good looking sausage....and that's a great ideal using the mini fridge  .....I never seem to have enough room to do what I want in mine....someone is always poking at what ever I'm working on or trying to eat it before it's cooked.....Kids, what are you going to do with them???? Shoneyboy

Reactions: hoity toit
Well I smoked it this afternoon.  Used hickory.  The flavor and smoke intensity is great, but the casings turned out tough.  So Im a little dissapointed.  Stuffing casings and making them look pretty isnt easy.  

Im going to stick most of these in a mini fridge to dry for a few days, up to a week.  I have the temp in the fridge around 55-60F and humidity at around 75%.  Im going to dry a few at room temperature of about 72F.  The ones at room temp I covered with cheese cloth to keep flys off.  Here are the pictures I have:

787f754f_Picture002.jpg
f9a01a57_Picture004.jpg
15e5b85a_Picture005.jpg
b69ad1a3_Picture010.jpg
6861640a_Picture013.jpg
1e9a6a9a_Picture016.jpg
73eef953_Picture018.jpg
4c44607e_Picture022.jpg
eb23dbfb_Picture024.jpg
5d24fcc5_Picture025.jpg
72c9559e_Picture028.jpg
be06cc00_Picture021.jpg
8aa3fd15_Picture037.jpg
96517ad4_Picture038.jpg

Hey Nick, sorry your skins were tough.  I've heard (and tried it a couple of times) that a couple tablespoons vinegar in your soaking water will keep your casings from being tough.  I've never noticed mine being particularly tough in the first place, but I'm still on my first hank of hog casings, though I've noticed some texture differences within the same bunch - some are 'bitier' than others.  For snack sticks I've had great success with the 19mm pre-smoked (or smoke ready or whatever) colligen casings. Easy to stuff, consistent texture, no pre soaking, etc, pretty legit all the way round.

Nice looking Kabanosy, got to make me some before the holidays fully kick in! 

Great looking stuff there Nick !

I could handle a few of those real easy!

Nice Qview too!

Bear

Nice going Nick. That's good to know about the casings. I'm just getting started in stuffing myself. What do you have the sausages hanging on? Is that just a regular fridge that you modified for the sausages?
Squirrel,

I like the way you put that!

"You're just getting started in stuffing yourself."

Some of us have been stuffing ourselves for most of our lives! 
rolleyes.gif

Be careful, it's hard to stop, once you get good at it!  
icon_mrgreen.gif

Bear

Here are the Kabanosy one day after smoking.  The first two pictures are of the ones drying at room temp.  I believe the humidity is around 40-50%.  The last picture is in the mini fridge at 50*F and 80% humidity.   Looks like the room temp ones will be ready tomorrow morning.  Since the thickness was so uneven some of the thicker parts are still too "rubbery".  I tried a piece of the room temp Kabanosy and the skin doesnt seem as tough today.  And the texture in the middle is getting to what it should be.  Im not as dissapointed today as I was yesterday. :)

Im letting the ones in the fridge air out a couple times a day by leaving the fridge door open a few minutes at a time.

5ce07782_Picture049.jpg
9186dd4e_Picture045.jpg
cabaeee8_Picture051.jpg

I'm leaving that one alone!

Nick,

Great Job!

How about posting the recipe?

Is Kabanosy a form of dried snack stick?

Todd

Hey TJ,  Yup.  Kabanosy is a Polish meat stick.  Here's the recipe:  http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/kabanosy

Thanks for the comments guys.  Ok. I think the ones drying at room temperature are done. That's 1.5 days of drying. The flavor is awesome. The casings are still a little tougher than Im use to on Kabanosy but not as bad as when they first came out of the smoker. One thing I noticed, and you can see in the pictures, is that the drying was a little uneven due to the low humidity in the house. It looks like the outside dried faster than the inside. Overall Im satisified with the results. I will have to work on making a more uniformly sized sausage next time Im stuffing. The ones in the fridge are still drying, coming along nicely. I will continue to post pictures.

Here are the pictures of the ones that just finished drying:

cc5304d5_Picture056.jpg
1f7124e8_Picture054.jpg
9be5f49d_Picture058.jpg
ab5957df_Picture057.jpg

Reactions: shannon127
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky