just what is a fatty ???????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Lots of people stuff them.....but I love mine rolled in rub and then smoked to perfection.

Nothing better for breakfast than slices of Fatty with scrambled eggs on homemade Rye bread.

Ahhhhhh....makes getting up in the morning almost worth it....
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

OK, can I go with an English muffin and skip the Rye bread
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Now I can supply some fine fresh eggs though. Since I moved from the big city the first thing I did was start raising Chickens, gotta say there is nothing better than fresh yard eggs.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

What is the best way to roll a fatty after it has been stuffed? I've never done it and just looking at it you would think it wouldn't be too difficult. However, every time I have ever thought that about something, I have usually ended up with a disaster. I have a sneaking suspicion this would be the case, so I'm asking for advice!!!

Steve

Before flattening out your pork sausage onto wax paper, also spray the wax paper with a little Pam or rub so EVOO on the wax paper. Then as you are rollong it out, use the paper to help you keep the fatty rolling. EVOO also would be a good choice if you plan on putting a rub on the fatty anyways.

I find that parchment paper sticks less, What I do is shake some rub onto the paper to cover the area that the fatty will take up when rolled out, stuff with favorite stuffins and roll it up like a taquito Also to keep dishwashing down to a minimum I'll put a piece of parchment on top before I roll it out. Keep the fat cool to minimize stickyness as well. Put the fatty in the freezer for about 30 min prior to prepping and you should be blessed with a non stick fatty by the time you get it in the smoker.

Another thought on rolling it up:

Ever roll or see someone roll sushi? I use that technique when rolling a stuffed fatty.

And therein lies the rub. At the risk of starting a fire, I've become addicted to fattys myself and am trying all sorts of variants now. I have yet to do a meatloaf but understand that smoked meatloaf is also addictive. So which is better? It would seem there is room to blend the two as well perhaps creating a third and even greater monster.

Jasper95;70977 said:
What is the best way to roll a fatty after it has been stuffed? I've never done it and just looking at it you would think it wouldn't be too difficult. However, every time I have ever thought that about something, I have usually ended up with a disaster. I have a sneaking suspicion this would be the case, so I'm asking for advice!!!

Steve

My trick is to butter the waxed paper and cover it with bacon strips! The bacon binds the fatty and doesn't stick to the wax paper. Tastes good too!

I learned with my first fatty, YOU CAN NOT DO JUST ONE
icon_exclaim.gif

I'll be doing 2 butts in a few hours for our family reunion pot luck I'm bringin pulled pork. I had to run out this morning & bought 4# breakfast sausage that my cousin makes at his meat market. Only 15 to 20% fat. Best fatties ever.

I now put a minimum of 2 fatties every smoke. One for me & one to share, or just stager them so I got eats all night.

You all talk about making them for breakfast. No matter how many I put on they never make it to breakfast to have with eggs.

Eggs?! is there a way to smoke eggs???

A friend of mine smokes hard boiled eggs with the shell on, I haven't tried them yet. But he tells me they are very good.

I just had an idea that I might try.

Scramble up some raw eggs & make a "cup" out of the fatty & put the eggs in & roll the fatty around the raw egg & put it on the smoker.

If it works I will let you know.

soft scramble may be the way to go.

I whipped up the whites to a foam then folded in the beaten yolk,thinking that the thick foam might stay together better to roll the meat around. It was still to runny to roll the meat around without the egg squishing out.

This got me thinking. If I did the above, added some cheese to the mixture, rolled up the tortilla, and then put in the smoker (for 20-25 minutes) with some smoke, would that add good taste or perhaps become too smoky for the tortilla?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky