Just ordered a Rec Tec RT-700

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vaffanculo403

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 10, 2013
Pretty pumped. I've been using a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker but it's pretty annoying to use and I get nervous about trying different things because it pretty much requires constant babysitting so that you keep smoke going inside. So after a lot of research I decided the RT-700 was a pretty decent compromise between cost and value. Most of the features they have are only found on grills twice the price. Now I just need to figure out what i want to try first!

Any tips or tricks for a pellet grill newbe?

Thanks!

My 700 arrived the day before the wife, kids & I left on vacation...crap! We’re heading home tomorrow & I should be doing the initial burn in by tomorrow night. My Comp Cart arrives Tuesday! I’m as excited as you friend!

My father-in-law actually bought my 700 for me for a B-Day gift (WTF...nice, right!). He has the same smoker. His only issue has been on initial start up, sometimes it throws his GFI. There than that...Flawless!

Wow most folks using the MES say it's pretty much set-it-n-forget it. If your problem was with the amount of smoke you where getting then a 30.00 pellet tray would have solved that issue. Good luck with the pellet pooper. Lot's of folks swear by them.

Here's a link to the pellet tray in case your interested:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Chris

My father-in-law actually bought my 700 for me for a B-Day gift (WTF...nice, right!). He has the same smoker. His only issue has been on initial start up, sometimes it throws his GFI. There than that...Flawless!

Sounds like a faulty ignitor. Call RecTec and they will send a free replacement.

Reactions: RNMike
Did my first smoke yesterday, this thing is amazing, you’re gonna love yours. My comp cart came & input it together. Super sturdy, much better than the legs. I highly recommend it.

Welcome to the pellet world <--- Camp Chef here but its all good. Ever since I got mine my other 3 grills and master built feel neglected.

I think the only thing I will use my MES for now is sausage and jerky

Maybe I wont even use my weber anymore after I try these , I know other people make charcoal pellets but I have not seen them in stores only online. My buddy works for vista outdoors who owns camp chef so he can get me bags for 5 bucks. Cant wait
cp.png

Reactions: RNMike
You won’t stop using your Weber. I’ve used the Lumberjack Char-hickory Pellets a few times. Just barely a hint of charcoal flavor.
Kind of a gimmick IMO.

Welcome to the pellet world <--- Camp Chef here but its all good. Ever since I got mine my other 3 grills and master built feel neglected.

I think the only thing I will use my MES for now is sausage and jerky

Maybe I wont even use my weber anymore after I try these , I know other people make charcoal pellets but I have not seen them in stores only online. My buddy works for vista outdoors who owns camp chef so he can get me bags for 5 bucks. Cant wait
View attachment 373841

HA I sold my MES 5 days after my RecTec came. i cooked a couple things in it and they all came out WAY better than the MES. It's an awesome grill. I made a pork butt in it last week. Took 19 hours, which would have been a chore on the MES, and it was literally set it and forget it. The WiFi app that you can literally check from anywhere in the world is awesome too!

Same here. I would've never had the patience to cook a pork butt for 19 hours in my electric smoker. The RecTec made it simple!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky